Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCusick81

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'll start by saying I'm not sure if this is the right section for this question, so I apologize ahead of time if not. I bought a 97 K1500 a few years ago. Ever since I got the truck there has been a slight steering jump when going around long radius turns. It doesn't happen on sharper turns, only curves and the like. Basically as I'm turning the steering wheel around a curve, at a certain point, the steering wheel loses resistance and jumps a little in whichever direction I'm turning. Would this be a malfunction in the EVO sensor? Or something else? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time and expertise!
Kyle

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whenever my 98s had bad EVO sensors (on the steering column), that’s how it acted.

If you’re inclined to swap out the EVO component on the pump as Caman96 mentioned, then you can forego replacing the sensor on the column.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s how my faulty EVO system acted. Seems like it’s being over boosted at the wrong times.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like most, if not all with EVO, have concluded deleting it is the best solution. Do an EVO search on the forum.

Agree to disagree. My 1500 had the same problem and a new steering wheel position sensor at the base of the column fixed me right up. I love my functioning EVO, nice and light in a parking lot and a decent weight out on the road.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still seems like most delete it, search EVO and almost everyone seems to have issues, but I’m sure if it’s functioning correctly it’s fine. I wonder why most don’t just replace the sensor? All that being said, my non-EVO 96 steers perfectly fine for me.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. My 1500 had the same problem and a new steering wheel position sensor at the base of the column fixed me right up. I love my functioning EVO, nice and light in a parking lot and a decent weight out on the road.

I shared your opinion for quite a while until about the third time I had to replace one of the column sensors in my '97s. I will agree that the EVO works great when it's operational, but my experience has been that it doesn't stay that way for long. On top of that, these trucks drive great with it bypassed.

If you want to gamble on fixing the issue, replace the steering sensor on the column that was mentioned earlier. The OEM GM part is discontinued (part number 26064468), so the only available options are aftermarket replacements from Dorman (905510), Standard Motor Products (SWS11), or WVE (5S6342).

If you'd rather bypass the EVO (which is what I would recommend) you can install the GM EVO bypass kit (19168825) or equivalent. OR... Install a power steering pump and pressure line for a '96 truck. I've bypassed the EVO on both of my '97s using each of these methods and I can't tell a difference between them in function/performance. Using the EVO bypass kit introduces an extra connection point that could potentially leak, the '96 pump and pressure line method does not.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using the EVO bypass kit introduces an extra connection point that could potentially leak, the '96 pump and pressure line method does not.
I’ll add IF you can find an actual 96’ pump. A LOT of the reman pumps I’ve seen are listed as that but will be another pump with the bypass installed and not mentioned.

My truck is an example of that. I requested a 95’ pump and received a pump with with a pre installed bypass, that now has a slow a leak…

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ That is a bummer.

FWIW, I used a new Edelmann 6023R pump on my red truck. It was correct and matched up to the '96 pressure line (Sunsong 3401439) perfectly.