Engine Fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remmy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone I own a 1992 GMC 1500 and it has a 5.7 tbi engine. It’s unfortunate my engine just blew. I was planning to rebuilt my engine and build something stronger and faster. Unfortunately I can’t do that right now and I found out someone is selling a 5.7 engine from a GMC 1994 2500. My question here is will this be a direct fit for me to just bring this engine home and install it. I would like to hear from those with experience if this is something smart to do for now that I continue to save money for that build I have in mind. I’ll like to share a picture of my truck. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9563.jpeg
    IMG_9563.jpeg
    578.6 KB · Views: 9

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eight lug or six 2500 ? Have to check but , eight lug might have different smog. Could have different power rating for that condition. But externally the same.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hello Everyone I own a 1992 GMC 1500 and it has a 5.7 tbi engine. It’s unfortunate my engine just blew. I was planning to rebuilt my engine and build something stronger and faster. Unfortunately I can’t do that right now and I found out someone is selling a 5.7 engine from a GMC 1994 2500. My question here is will this be a direct fit for me to just bring this engine home and install it. I would like to hear from those with experience if this is something smart to do for now that I continue to save money for that build I have in mind. I’ll like to share a picture of my truck. Thanks
They're essentially the same engine but possibly with a few very minor differences externally, so you might need to move some pieces from your old engine. For example the TBI unit on the 1994 may not have the stud on the throttle arm that you hook your transmission throttle valve cable to. The 1994 will have a purge valve for the EVAP canister, right up front on the intake near the thermostat housing; your 1992 doesn't use that so you can leave it off. The bracket to the passenger side of the TBI on your 1992 has an external spark control module that 1994 doesn't, so you'll need to move it over. I think you get the idea.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Aren't the 8 luggers lower compression too back in the TBI era? Aside from that the long block bolts right in as previously mentioned, just swap over what you need and be on your way.