EGR tube - 7.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denverdriveby

Reaction score
Could you maybe post a pic of the part/area of engine that you need this part for? A TBI 454 doesn't use this particular EGR tube (or any EGR tube.)

Richard
No picture, sorry but metal tube that goes into intake manifold behind throttle body and just in front of distributor....tube is 5/8" diameter or so....tube connects to passenger side exhaust.... tube broke off in the intake manifold so need new one....motor is original to truck I believe...certainly appears original but it's getting replaced

Thank you for your help everyone

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
No picture, sorry but metal tube that goes into intake manifold behind throttle body and just in front of distributor....tube is 5/8" diameter or so....tube connects to passenger side exhaust.... tube broke off in the intake manifold so need new one....motor is original to truck I believe...certainly appears original but it's getting replaced

If this part is there, it’s possible/likely motor was replaced.
You must be registered for see images attach

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There should be an egr valve in the manifold near that spot but it only has a vacuum line to the nearby egr solenoid. Not sure what a 5/8 metal tube would be for. As said, the EGR tube being discussed above is on the driver's side exhaust/intake and is only on vortecs. I'm interested to see what this tube ends up being.

This is what the egr valve looks likke... or is supposed to look like anyway.

Last edited:

denverdriveby

Reaction score
My mistake guys, I think it is a cooling line from intake manifold to heater core...a neighbor is helping me tear down and pull out the old 454 and couldn't loosen the fitting of this metal tube into the intake manifold so he just broke it and said we'd get broken piece outta manifold later...metal tube connected to rubber hose that goes towards heater core at firewall... mystery solved. My mistake, sorry for confusion

Attachments

• IMG_20240830_183111926.jpg
    IMG_20240830_183111926.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240830_183054187.jpg
    IMG_20240830_183054187.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240830_183043957.jpg
    IMG_20240830_183043957.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240830_183034362.jpg
    IMG_20240830_183034362.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 8

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
My mistake guys, I think it is a cooling line from intake manifold to heater core...a neighbor is helping me tear down and pull out the old 454 and couldn't loosen the fitting of this metal tube into the intake manifold so he just broke it and said we'd get broken piece outta manifold later...metal tube connected to rubber hose that goes towards heater core at firewall... mystery solved. My mistake, sorry for confusion
That would be the heater hose "quick connect" fitting and they're notorious for breaking. Subject is covered a lot here if you do a search. You'll want to take care removing the remains of the fitting from the intake manifold so that you don't hurt the threads.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That would be the heater hose "quick connect" fitting and they're notorious for breaking. Subject is covered a lot here if you do a search. You'll want to take care removing the remains of the fitting from the intake manifold so that you don't hurt the threads.

Richard
A sharp small chisel bit is your friend. If you get one whole side broken out, the rest of the broken connector will fold in on itself but it will not be easy but is doable. I know that I am doing intake gaskets on my girls 1990 K2500 in a couple months and will be spraying penetrant for several days ahead of time.

denverdriveby

Reaction score

Richard
I'm taking your advice ...I took intake manifold to trusted local engine machine shop to clean & repaint and remove busted piece of that cooling tube & hose...truck is getting new reman 454 long block and for simplicity and ease of repairs and keeping this old truck on the road I decided at the very beginning to keep drivetrain 100% factory original stock configuration including EGR, catalytic converter, TBI, air cleaner assembly, and intake manifold...so even though that cast iron intake manifold is 4million lbs and crusty with rust and grease, I'm keeping it and getting it cleaned, repainted, and have engine shop use their experience to remove that busted metal cooling piece broken off in the manifold...I'll have same machine shop clean up the exhaust manifolds next so I can re-use them as well

Overall...I greatly underestimated how much repair & restoration this 1991 Chevy k3500 would require to get back to reliable daily driver condition...at least here in Colorado we don't worry about rust as badly as many other parts of north America but mechanically much of this truck was just worn out and busted...paid $2500 for it back in March 2023 and drove it 30 miles home breaking down a few times but finally got home...I've easily "invested" about $10k+ in parts/work since then and now I'm replacing the 454 motor with a NAPA reman bbc long block and that'll end up $5k after it's all said & done. No plans to ever sell this truck but thus far I'm already learning the Gen5 vortec cast iron big blocks have timing chain stretch problems as they get over 100k miles which lead to engine failure...would double roller timing chain help extend lifespan of motor?

Attachments

• Jun_19_2024_12_26_33_4.jpg
    Jun_19_2024_12_26_33_4.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 9
  • Jun_19_2024_12_26_33_2.jpg
    Jun_19_2024_12_26_33_2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 9
  • Jun_19_2024_12_26_33_3.jpg
    Jun_19_2024_12_26_33_3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: