Draining tank of old gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And to add to the "suspect" fuel condition. You should really drop the tank, pull the pump and replace it. The issue is there is a little rubber hose in there that connects the pump to the hard lines. It does not like ethanol, it will get holes and disintegrate causing you issues. May as well take care of it now.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
No argument from me on whether the pump is already damaged. However, if one goes to the trouble of jumping it and then finds it's already dead.. you'll still want to siphon the fuel out to make dropping the tank easier.

And that hose our Canuk pal just mentioned? Here's what extended exposure to old gas can do to them.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gasoline is well over three dollars a gallon. (FJB) Higher still depending on geographic location/state taxes. I was paying over five bucks a gallon in California about this time last year.

"I" would try "priming" the pump with the fuel filter disconnected on the inlet side. Pump runs for two seconds--collect the fuel in a suitable container for inspection. See if you get water...or gasoline. If gasoline, reconnect the filter, see if the engine runs. If it runs...I wouldn't drain the tank except by putting miles on the truck. As long as the truck runs OK, don't change the fuel filter until the tank has been re-filled at least once, but probably not more than two or three re-fills.

The absolute worst thing you can do is to spread the fuel on open ground, or let it "evaporate" off of pavement. Set fire to it one way or another--in the combustion chambers of the truck, in the combustion chamber(s) of a lawn-mower, or in a burn-pit after mixing with some Diesel, Kerosene, or used oil (so it's not so explosive.)

Last edited:

dlundblad

Reaction score
Replacing the pump looks like cheap insurance. Rock Auto has a Delphi for ~$38. (*I stand corrected, the entire assy. is $140.) Likely the OE part or at least the closest thing to it at this point.

10 million dollar question. Do I mess with the truck at all at this point or just drain the fuel, drop the tank, and replace the pump? I'm inclined to using the pump to remove the old gas and connect a draining hose at the tank side of the filter.

Last edited:

dlundblad

Reaction score
Gasoline is well over three dollars a gallon. (FJB) Higher still depending on geographic location/state taxes. I was paying over five bucks a gallon in California about this time last year.

"I" would try "priming" the pump with the fuel filter disconnected on the inlet side. Pump runs for two seconds--collect the fuel in a suitable container for inspection. See if you get water...or gasoline. If gasoline, reconnect the filter, see if the engine runs. If it runs...I wouldn't drain the tank except by putting miles on the truck. As long as the truck runs OK, don't change the fuel filter until the tank has been re-filled at least once, but probably not more than two or three re-fills.

The absolute worst thing you can do is to spread the fuel on open ground, or let it "evaporate" off of pavement. Set fire to it one way or another--in the combustion chambers of the truck, in the combustion chamber(s) of a lawn-mower, or in a burn-pit after mixing with some Diesel, Kerosene, or used oil (so it's not so explosive.)

FJB. Lol

He was spotted the other day wondering around.. that means we will have at least 6 more weeks of his presidency.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replacing the pump looks like cheap insurance. Rock Auto has a Delphi for ~$38. (*I stand corrected, the entire assy. is $140.) Likely the OE part or at least the closest thing to it at this point.

10 million dollar question. Do I mess with the truck at all at this point or just drain the fuel, drop the tank, and replace the pump? I'm inclined to using the pump to remove the old gas and connect a draining hose at the tank side of the filter.
I would personally drain the fuel with the pump, wire from battery to OBD port. Drop the tank, replace pump and rubber hose. Then install a new fuel filter and then go from there.
While you have the filter off, it may be a good time to disconnect the lines at the TBI and blow some compressed air back through just to clean out any junk that may have accumulated.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You've been given a number of suggestions.

Pick the one that lets you sleep at night and is within your capabilities / budget.

Along the lines of @Schurkey's post, my Suburban once sat for two years with the same gas in it, as it was not being regularly driven.

I took it out and drove it just to run the old gas through it (it seemed to run well) then I backfilled with new gas.

Since then, it's driven fairly regularly (well, a few times a year).

That was around 2011, over 100kmi ago, and I'm still on the same fuel pump.

Last edited:

dlundblad

Reaction score
I siphoned what I could and hoped for the best. She fired right up. Drove her around a bit and changed the oil. All is good.

The temp gauge only read about halfway and the brakes would randomly lock up while in reverse every once in a while. Aside from that, she drives great. Lol