Door latch mechanism functions? Parts blowup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grady

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, it's the pink rod in the pic below that is hanging loose, right? That is the exterior latch rod #7, as you said, but it's easier to see where it goes in the right side version, where they have interior latch rod also numbered as #7. They are both door handle rods, but not the same rods. The exterior latch rod drops into a hole on an arm that operates the latch mechanism. You can see the hole from above with window down. If both of your latch rods are having issues, it is very possible that the latch itself needs replaced as without a proper spring tension, I can see how that arm would fall away from the exterior latch rod and leave it hanging. It also explains why your interior handle is also acting like you lost a spring, but the way it attaches it won't just fall out like the exterior one.

You must be registered for see images attach
You are correct, it is the pink #7 but there is no arm with a hole in it that I can see and with the door panel removed, I have a pretty good view. I have probed with a long piece of 3/16" metal rod and can find nothing that yields to downward pressure. Maybe that arm has snapped off and attaches where I can't see it from above? It looks like it's directly behind the interior door latch rod and there is nothing there on mine.

Grady

Reaction score
You are correct, it is the pink #7 but there is no arm with a hole in it that I can see and with the door panel removed, I have a pretty good view. I have probed with a long piece of 3/16" metal rod and can find nothing that yields to downward pressure. Maybe that arm has snapped off and attaches where I can't see it from above? It looks like it's directly behind the interior door latch rod and there is nothing there on mine.
In the image, it looks like the pink rod is between the inside release rod and the door lock rod. Is that right?

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's 3 pics of a passenger side latch. The first is from directly above, second at a quarter angle and the third is from the side. In the first pic, that hole on the far left is your huckleberry for the exterior rod. In the second pic, the arm in the very bottom right of the pic, is where the interior latch rod attaches. In the third pic, that is a side shot of the exterior rod's arm. Boy, I hope this is helping.

Last edited:

Grady

Reaction score
Here's 3 pics of a passenger side latch. The first is from directly above, second at a quarter angle and the third is from the side. In the first pic, that hole on the far left is your huckleberry for the exterior rod. In the second pic, the arm in the very bottom right of the pic, is where the interior latch rod attaches. In the third pic, that is a side shot of the exterior rod's arm. Boy, I hope this is helping.

I appreciate the effort in any case.

Grady

Reaction score
Keeper, Your pics clearly show that the outside rod is on the opposite side of the latch from the inside and lock rods. The drawings make it look like they are all on the same side. I pulled the outside handle and loosened the latch and there it is. Rain delay.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeper, Your pics clearly show that the outside rod is on the opposite side of the latch from the inside and lock rods. The drawings make it look like they are all on the same side. I pulled the outside handle and loosened the latch and there it is. Rain delay.
Well that's good news!!

Yes, the drawing perspective is at the just wrong angle. It doesn't help that they labeled the interior rod as #15 on the left, but as #7 on the right and then left the actual #7 unlabeled (pink rod)

Grady

Reaction score
I like a challenge but... seems like they could have put just a little more accuracy into those drawings. I put everything back together but the rod came out of the hole when I wrestled the outside handle back in so I took it apart again and dropped the little "keeper" on the back of the lock cylinder down into the door cavity - fished it out with a telescoping magnet - put it together again and managed to break the little arm on the handle that pushes the rod down so now I need a new handle. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.