Do I have R-12 or R-134a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbriggs

Reaction score
The connector near the Accumulator has a female end, but the sticker on the condenser says R-12. Did they retrofit but not replace the sticker?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The connector near the Accumulator has a female end, but the sticker on the condenser says R-12.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Female end", maybe you can take a picture? A good way to tell is try to hook up your R-12 or R-134a gauges, the one that fitting, won't fit the other. The R134a fittings are bigger than the R-12 ones. The R-134a fittings are quick connect while the R-12 are screw on.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
R-12 has threads, on the outside of the survive post fittings. 134-A has quick connect service ports, so, remove the cap, from the service port, and look at what you have. The retro fit, kits to go from R -12 to 134-A, has fittings that go in top of the OE R-12 fittings, but under NO circumstance, can you mix the 2 freons. They are NOT compatible, at all. The retro fit, requires ALL of the freon, and AC compressor oil to be flushed out of the system, before and 134-A oil, and freon, can be installed. Also, 1 more thing. The 134-A, service port, plastic caps, has threads, on the inside of the cap, that screws into the inside of the service ports.
You must be registered for see images attach

rbriggs

Reaction score
Here are the pictures. I'm assuming they didnt replace the sticker. "Female end" meaning something goes in it instead of it goes into something lol

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, that has the retro fit, 134-A kit. They just didn't put the 134-A sticker on the compressor. That little pancake AC compressor is actually a decent compressor. I had 1 on my 93, WT, and it had 134-A from the factory.