Did some work with a dremel on my 454 TBI unit. What do you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam454

Reaction score
I thought I could improve air flow by shaving the throttle plate bar, sharpening the throttle plates, and smoothing out the bore edge. Still need to polish the bore before the throttle plates. Also clearanced the casting for a higher injector pod riser.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I could improve air flow by shaving the throttle plate bar, sharpening the throttle plates,
Thinning the throttle shaft maybe makes a difference. "Sharpening" the throttle plates potentially makes the idle problematic.

Still need to polish the bore before the throttle plates. Also clearanced the casting for a higher injector pod riser.
Every part you "polish" will have the protective plating removed, which means corrosion becomes another issue you need to deal with.

Sam454

Reaction score
Thinning the throttle shaft maybe makes a difference. "Sharpening" the throttle plates potentially makes the idle problematic.

Every part you "polish" will have the protective plating removed, which means corrosion becomes another issue you need to deal with.
The bottom edge is rounded to let air pass better . Sharpened wasn’t the best word as the top of the throttle plate was left untouched so it’s the same diameter. The steel on the throttle shaft will be painted. Also I thought all the aluminum was unplated. It should make its own oxide layer, right? I have the means to anodize if needed.