Dash removal and replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Navyguy92

Reaction score
Does a 98' dash swap straight across to an 88'? I'm not sure if the mounting bolt/screw holes line up for the dash mounts. I know the rest of the interior parts swap out with no problem, but not so sure about the dash.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Does a 98' dash swap straight across to an 88'? I'm not sure if the mounting bolt/screw holes line up for the dash mounts. I know the rest of the interior parts swap out with no problem, but not so sure about the dash.
It depends on what your definition of "with no problem" means. There's lots of problems along the way, for that entire swap, but many have done it and it has been written up in great detail all across the interwebs.. including probably several posts on this site.

To be quite literal though, yes, the later style GMT400 dash "bolts up" in an older GMT400 cab, it uses the same bolt locations and swivel studs down low in the kick panel area, and the same screw locations across the defrost vents.

You'll want to change the steering column support for it to fit correctly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Don't forget to add the passenger A-pillar grab handle bracket. You wouldn't wanna leave those two gaping holes in the plastic trim, would ya?

Richard

dfarr67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a 89 K1500 which I have the interior out for sound matting, along the way decided to clean out the evaporator of pine needles/crap and rebuild the ac as it hasn't worked in years. Getting the lower hvac shrouds out was bad enough and trying to sneak it back in is impossible (very few jobs kick my ass), can I loosen the box mounts through the firewall so I can get about 1/2 inch between the firewall. If I have to pull the dash I will but would like to avoid.

Das Hatt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a 89 K1500 which I have the interior out for sound matting, along the way decided to clean out the evaporator of pine needles/crap and rebuild the ac as it hasn't worked in years. Getting the lower hvac shrouds out was bad enough and trying to sneak it back in is impossible (very few jobs kick my ass), can I loosen the box mounts through the firewall so I can get about 1/2 inch between the firewall. If I have to pull the dash I will but would like to avoid.
I just went through this. I was going to replace the dash anyway so I took the dash out, but I could not get the lower plastic pieces back on without pulling out the entire HVAC box and essentially reassembling it. I wish you better luck than I had.