Coolant temperatures while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TPMLE

Reaction score
Thanks - I appreciate it.
I tow a 7500lb travel trailer with the same engine/ transmission (1998 C3500 7.4/4.10) I have a dipstick transmission sensor connected to a gauge on my dashboard. At 60-65 mph and towing the trailer with outside temperatures around 95 F it will read about 210 F, if stuck in stop and go traffic that’s when I see 225 F temps. If not towing it will usually read about 100F above the ambient temperature. At 65 mph I tow in 4th gear here in flat Texas and the gauge always will read cooler in 4th than 3rd gear.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow a 7500lb travel trailer with the same engine/ transmission (1998 C3500 7.4/4.10) I have a dipstick transmission sensor connected to a gauge on my dashboard. At 60-65 mph and towing the trailer with outside temperatures around 95 F it will read about 210 F, if stuck in stop and go traffic that’s when I see 225 F temps. If not towing it will usually read about 100F above the ambient temperature. At 65 mph I tow in 4th gear here in flat Texas and the gauge always will read cooler in 4th than 3rd gear.
Good to know. That's probably about 1500 lbs more than we're pulling when our camper's loaded (It's 5500 lbs dry weight).

The guy that rebuilt our trans recommended towing in 3rd, basically saying it would last longer that way. Probably because of the rolling hills around here, which are long enough to cause it to downshift into 3rd fairly often. I have no doubt it would run a bit cooler in 4th, though.

JohnZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought it might be helpful to follow up on a few loose ends in this thread (which I also discussed in my build thread):

The PO confirmed that this beast does in fact have a new radiator, along with new upper and lower radiator hoses, plus a new radiator cap. So far so good.
My plan is to do a drain and flush, and replace the thermostat with the newly purchased GM one. I'll probably use a 50/50 premixed antifreeze.

Upon inspecting the cooling stack (I learned a new term!), I found the fins to be clean, unbent, and one can easily see through them. Nonetheless, I'll blow some compressed air through them, with reduced pressure to ensure fin safety.

It turns out that my auxiliary fan does work. After a long drive I visually checked it while it was parked and idling, and the ECT was just below 200º F. The fan shut off when I turned off the ignition.

Still haven't decided on a fan, but I'd want a simple bolt-on solution. I'm not 100% clear on what part #s I would need to make that happen.

Lastly, even though this thread was about engine coolant temperature, the topic of transmission fluid temperature did come up and was discussed enough to warrant passing along what I learned from Trent, the guy that rebuilt the transmission, plus the GM SM. Trent said that the TFT really shouldn't go much above 230º F. The GM SM, Book 2, Page 7A-370 states that the normal operating range for the 4L80e is 90º C to 115º C, or 194º F to 239º F, depending on load.

Our next trip is in early July, again to the mountains; and I will report back how it went, temperature-wise.
was the electric fan running strong and loud? I had one that would turn on, but wasnt full power. Replaced it and its loud now and moves right much air.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was the electric fan running strong and loud? I had one that would turn on, but wasnt full power. Replaced it and its loud now and moves right much air.
I couldn't hear it from inside the cab, but could hear it from the outside. It's not particularly loud against the background sound of the regular fan combined with the alternator. Come to think of it, I also had the AC on.

The fan was spinning pretty fast, though. I shone a flashlight on it, and couldn't see individual blades, just a blur.

TPMLE

Reaction score
Good to know. That's probably about 1500 lbs more than we're pulling when our camper's loaded (It's 5500 lbs dry weight).

The guy that rebuilt our trans recommended towing in 3rd, basically saying it would last longer that way. Probably because of the rolling hills around here, which are long enough to cause it to downshift into 3rd fairly often. I have no doubt it would run a bit cooler in 4th, though.
I typically will manually shift into 3rd when I get off the highway and am on city streets. It’s been awhile since I’ve towed in mountains but the routine was similar, shift manually into 3rd for the uphill portion then back to 4th once I reach the top. I also am pretty consistent with doing full transmission flushes every 50k miles, still have original transmission at 176K miles

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I typically will manually shift into 3rd when I get off the highway and am on city streets. It’s been awhile since I’ve towed in mountains but the routine was similar, shift manually into 3rd for the uphill portion then back to 4th once I reach the top. I also am pretty consistent with doing full transmission flushes every 50k miles, still have original transmission at 176K miles
That's impressive - 176K!

I wonder if there's any difference between the 96 and 98 transmissions. Do you have a "tow mode" or something like that?