Coolant Temp Sensor IN THE CYLINDER HEAD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianPaul69

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm just about having an aneurysm trying to figure out something that should be so unbelievably simple but yet it's one of the great mysteries of the universe...

I'm going to try to be very clear, concise and to the point so we don't get running around the whole truck for 3 weeks.

I have an 88 Chevy C1500 Silverado with a 305 engine and a 700R4 transmission. It's a standard cab two-wheel drive 8 ft bed just in case anybody's wondering.

All I need to know is what is the part number for the temp sensor which does not have a blade it has the little mushroom connector and it's on the driver side cylinder head?

Just in case there's any confusion I'm attaching a photo of the sensor I took out of the driver side cylinder head which has been in there since I bought the truck in 2004.

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who could tell me a part number on this mystery of the universe sensor.

Thank you ahead of time and have a great week.

Brian

Attachments

• 20240916_233709.jpg
    20240916_233709.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 8

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try a 70's year model on the parts lookup site. Just make sure you match the thread size and whether it's for temp gauge or just a warning light

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm just about having an aneurysm trying to figure out something that should be so unbelievably simple but yet it's one of the great mysteries of the universe...

I'm going to try to be very clear, concise and to the point so we don't get running around the whole truck for 3 weeks.

I have an 88 Chevy C1500 Silverado with a 305 engine and a 700R4 transmission. It's a standard cab two-wheel drive 8 ft bed just in case anybody's wondering.

All I need to know is what is the part number for the temp sensor which does not have a blade it has the little mushroom connector and it's on the driver side cylinder head?

Just in case there's any confusion I'm attaching a photo of the sensor I took out of the driver side cylinder head which has been in there since I bought the truck in 2004.

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who could tell me a part number on this mystery of the universe sensor.

Thank you ahead of time and have a great week.

Brian
Looks rather similar to the ones in the side of the head on my truck. That would be your dash temp sender (as far as I know 88 has the same location as 96). The trick now is to find one with the nail head connector instead of the blade.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares about the nail-head/mushroom connector vs. the spade connector on the gauge sending unit?

The same molded plastic connector on the wire harness fits both styles. Plugs in at 90-degree angle on the nail-head style, plugs straight in on the spade connector.

Buy whichever one you can obtain, plug the wire connector onto it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
See that flat round head is the same size as a male Spade connector. Just slip the round head into the female spade type on the wire.
Why can't you go to the parts store and have them look it up for you? Does it have the part number on it?