Converting 1995-1999 2 door Tahoe 4x4 to 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Ur in TX, can't tell me cant find a cheap 2wd around.....
Prices on all things GMT400 have gone stupid around here. I thought it was just covid pricing silliness, but it's kind of stuck around. They've become a lot more popular in recent years.

Richard

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's the same here. Let's go Brandon!!!!! Buy anyways I still don't believe can't find one. Or even a frame. Car-part should show one somewhere.

Dallaschevy10

Reaction score
2wd sell real fast if they r cheap and that's because it's still close to 10k and I ended up getting this 4x4 real cheap from my cousin I couldn't pass up. Needs transmission, transfer case,and cv axles. The 2wds I do find r 10k and up.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need to be patient, and quick. They are out there. I just bought a 2000 K3500 with 71,720 miles, 5.7, NV4500, running and driving for lil over a grand. Frame is toast, but really wanted the motor for my Yukon. Don't really need the trans, but now I have another complete trans swap for 95-up truck. And another 1 ton cab with clean title.....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schurkey what did u mean if I rebuild properly I'm ok with 4x4 light staying on I just want speedometer to work properly
I'd expect the speed sensor to be the same whether it's in the transfer case or in the transmission. So there's no difference IF you put the 2WD parts in the 4WD transmission to turn it into a 2WD.

I just think it's insane to spend extra money to turn a 4WD truck into a 2WD.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a case of trying to use what you have instead of starting over. I had sone amazing custom Diamond pistons and I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out the right rods and crank stroke to make it work. In the end an old feller listened to me ramble on and said “don’t arrange a project over parts you have on the shelf it will cost less to do it right initially. It hurt but I shelved the pistons and the build came together.

He’s building it backwards because he has a 2wd trans but it’s a million times more work than keeping it 4x4 or using a 2wd chassis.

Dallaschevy10

Reaction score
I think I'm just going to keep it 4x4 and drive it till I find a buyer. I'm going to have to fix transmission, transfer case, and axles. But will get to drive in the mean time and I have plenty of projects and don't really have time. Thanks for the info though it always helps talking it over to help make decision