Console rattles + others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
Is the rattling-creaking-squeaking 95+ center console a common characteristic????

Does anyone have a console that doesn’t squeak? I can place my hand on top of it and move it gently and it all just creaks terribly. Every plastic joint it has seems audible.

I recently fixed the squeaking-creaking door panels by using some ACDelco superlube between the door metal and panel material… I’m sure it’s only a temporary fix.

I’ve installed sound deadening mat inside the doors and on the panels which also helps, would that help the center console?

The barn doors also squeak, it’s a full-time job keeping all the noise at bay.

The dash is a lost cause. It’s cracked in several places. It likes to rattle when it’s very hot, or very cold.

My main battle at the moment is the center console. If anyone has some input or ideas, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It's made of several pieces, so if any are loose/broken there probably will be squeaks. Honestly I never noticed if Burb has this issue because unless it's really cold, the windows are down so road noise would cover it up. The used tan console I have for sale seems pretty tight but it's so big and unwieldy outside of a truck that I don't handle it much. The newer 400s are more common in the yards so the market here for one is not that great(although this one is complete and undamaged except for a few minor scratches). IIRC the early style console is also multiple pieces, but it is supposed to fit between the later seats. And you get TWO actual cup holders!
If I can get out to the yards when they get older trucks in, I might eventually be able to score one....

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
It's made of several pieces, so if any are loose/broken there probably will be squeaks. Honestly I never noticed if Burb has this issue because unless it's really cold, the windows are down so road noise would cover it up. The used tan console I have for sale seems pretty tight but it's so big and unwieldy outside of a truck that I don't handle it much. The newer 400s are more common in the yards so the market here for one is not that great(although this one is complete and undamaged except for a few minor scratches). IIRC the early style console is also multiple pieces, but it is supposed to fit between the later seats. And you get TWO actual cup holders!
If I can get out to the yards when they get older trucks in, I might eventually be able to score one....
Do the pieces come apart easily? Does it all just snap together?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Do the pieces come apart easily? Does it all just snap together?
It kind of snaps together but there are fasteners too. I'm not where the spare console is, or where Burb is, so I can't give more details. I may be out at the shop building tomorrow since I'm off work; if I am, I'll take some pix.

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
It kind of snaps together but there are fasteners too. I'm not where the spare console is, or where Burb is, so I can't give more details. I may be out at the shop building tomorrow since I'm off work; if I am, I'll take some pix.
I think I’ll pull it out tomorrow and see what I can do. A new console latch and anti-rattle tape arrives tomorrow so that will help things for sure.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I think I’ll pull it out tomorrow and see what I can do. A new console latch and anti-rattle tape arrives tomorrow so that will help things for sure.
Those latches are notorious for breaking. To me, that piece was poorly designed to begin with. I've heard people are 3D printing them?
Good luck!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My red truck has some Dynamat stuck to the inside of the lower portion of the center console, that seemed to help. No real rhyme or reason to the application, just kind of stuck scrap pieces left over from the door kit at random. Might be something to try.

Those latches are notorious for breaking. To me, that piece was poorly designed to begin with. I've heard people are 3D printing them?

Dorman has a replacement available as well, part number 924-378.

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
I removed the center console and completely disassembled it. It has some wear in places, but cleaned up pretty well. All of the creaking came from the plastic on plastic connections.

When I reassemble, I will use a mixture of anti-rattle tape, foam, and a film of silicone. I’m hoping this will eliminate most of the noise.

Attachments

• IMG_7610.jpeg
    IMG_7610.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 7

JohnZ71

Z71 Tahoe Enjoyer
Reaction score
Have it all back together and installed. Huge improvement!

I used velour anti-rattle tape on every mating surface except the very front where it splits down the middle, there I used a silicone film to keep it from squeaking. For the plastic insert, I added a thin layer of high density foam inside to keep the contents from rattling.

I’m sure some of y’all are thinking this is overkill and on the verge of insanity, maybe so…but I hate rattles and noises alike.

I used over half the roll of velour tape on the console. I will buy a few more rolls and tackle the trim pieces at some point. The rear cargo area gets noisy at times, which I’m suspecting are the barn door panels and the side panels covering the rear AC and Jack storage area.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Have it all back together and installed. Huge improvement!

I used velour anti-rattle tape on every mating surface except the very front where it splits down the middle, there I used a silicone film to keep it from squeaking. For the plastic insert, I added a thin layer of high density foam inside to keep the contents from rattling.

I’m sure some of y’all are thinking this is overkill and on the verge of insanity, maybe so…but I hate rattles and noises alike.

I used over half the roll of velour tape on the console. I will buy a few more rolls and tackle the trim pieces at some point. The rear cargo area gets noisy at times, which I’m suspecting are the barn door panels and the side panels covering the rear AC and Jack storage area.
All those panels get loose with age, and the locking pins probably break too. Good to hear what all it takes to refurbish one of these consoles. I think all that's wrong with the one in Burb is that the latch is broken. But since that truck is on the back burner till cooler weather....