Compression fitting spliced Trans Cooler Line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYDeer

Reaction score
I ordered replacement trans cooler lines, and picked the wrong ones. I didn't know I had the optional trans cooler.
Anyway, I needed the truck sealed up, didn't want to risk trans damage. I had the mechanic cut about 3-4" off the lower radiator trans line, and fab out a replacement end, joined with a compression union to the factory original line. Work looks good, I am satisfied.

Anyone have any experience with a similar repair failing? Would you replace the line anyway?

I have a grocery list going 'to do' repairs and want to know if this box can be checked complete, or needs a revisit.
Thanks for your experiences & comments.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couldn't do a 45 ° flared fittings or the inverted flare that's all ready used? I'm just a big fan of compression steel on steel.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A double-flare on the tubing, with an inverted-flare union is the better way. Normal brass compression unions* are outright illegal on fuel supply plumbing--which is why every manufacturer was using double-flared tubing, and inverted flares on the connection fitting.

HOWEVER, I've used brass-ferrule compression unions on trans cooler tubes many times. They'll work just fine as long as the ferrules aren't over-crimped or under-crimped. Compression unions are often used on domestic water supplies--sinks and toilets, for example. Static pressure is typically 60--70 psi, but the spikes can be much higher. Temperature on the water supplies isn't as high as on automotive applications, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

*We put together the steel-tubing plumbing for CNG fuel systems using Swagelok compression fittings. 1000 psi, and those Swagelok compression fittings would seal gas-tight, could be taken apart and put back together reliably. Expensive as all get-out, but they worked FABULOUSLY.
www.swagelok.com/en

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
A double-flare on the tubing, with an inverted-flare union is the better way. Normal brass compression unions* are outright illegal on fuel supply plumbing--which is why every manufacturer was using double-flared tubing, and inverted flares on the connection fitting.

HOWEVER, I've used brass-ferrule compression unions on trans cooler tubes many times. They'll work just fine as long as the ferrules aren't over-crimped or under-crimped. Compression unions are often used on domestic water supplies--sinks and toilets, for example. Static pressure is typically 60--70 psi, but the spikes can be much higher. Temperature on the water supplies isn't as high as on automotive applications, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

*We put together the steel-tubing plumbing for CNG fuel systems using Swagelok compression fittings. 1000 psi, and those Swagelok compression fittings would seal gas-tight, could be taken apart and put back together reliably. Expensive as all get-out, but they worked FABULOUSLY.
www.swagelok.com/en
They make nifty bleeder valves, too. Replaced the allen bolt bleeder on my 6.1 hemi with a Swagelok piece. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

NYDeer

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the insights. I didn't watch them or see the brass union pieces they were using before they did the work. When i get back to the truck, I'll take a look again at them, see if I can tell if it is a 45 degree flare or ferrule flare.