Clutch and flywheel recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go to summit racing, and see what they offer. I have a Lux kit in my 79 Corvette. The Lux kits are very good, and not real expensive. My Corvette is Numbers matching, L82, 4 bolt main, 350, but has Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock intake, cam, rocker rollers, Holley sniper EFI, long tube headers, and makes about 400 HP at the tires. It is a beast, that runs 12 second quarter mile times. The PO was Autocross racing the car. The Lux clutch kit work very well holding the power of the car.
You must be registered for see images attach

VictoryRed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go to summit racing, and see what they offer. I have a Lux kit in my 79 Corvette. The Lux kits are very good, and not real expensive. My Corvette is Numbers matching, L82, 4 bolt main, 350, but has Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock intake, cam, rocker rollers, Holley sniper EFI, long tube headers, and makes about 400 HP at the tires. It is a beast, that runs 12 second quarter mile times. The PO was Autocross racing the car. The Lux clutch kit work very well holding the power of the car.
will definitely be going with this thanks man should hold up to my abuse just fine.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could go to NAPA and get a NAPA “branded” clutch for a decent price.

the NAPA clutches are actually just rebranded Luk. I’ve had no problems with mine in the couple thousand miles I’ve put on it since it went in during my manual swap.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10-1/2" clutch with the 16lb flywheel?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
10-1/2" clutch with the 16lb flywheel?
I haven't been in there, and didn't install it, so to be honest, IDK. It was on the car, when I bought it. It is a first gen, 350 though. It bites grate really all I know for sure. The PO put $20,000 in the Vette, before I bought it. So far, all of the parts he told me, he put on the car, check out as rite.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what’s the best combo i can get that doesn’t break the bank?
"Best" for WHAT PURPOSE? HOW are you going to use the vehicle?

I've got one of those lightweight nodular-iron GM flywheels tucked away.

Drove a '67 Camaro, mild 454/4-speed with the lightweight flywheel. There were two ways to take off from a stop. Either the engine bogged--maybe even stalled; or the rear tires smoked. There was no "moderate, in-between".

Lightweight flywheel is probably fabulous for road-racing. Sucks for drag racing (poor 60-foot due to lack of stored energy at the starting line) and really sucks for street use at least until the gearing gets real high numerical due to bogging at every stop-light/stop-sign.

VictoryRed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Best" for WHAT PURPOSE? HOW are you going to use the vehicle?

I've got one of those lightweight nodular-iron GM flywheels tucked away.

Drove a '67 Camaro, mild 454/4-speed with the lightweight flywheel. There were two ways to take off from a stop. Either the engine bogged--maybe even stalled; or the rear tires smoked. There was no "moderate, in-between".

Lightweight flywheel is probably fabulous for road-racing. Sucks for drag racing (poor 60-foot due to lack of stored energy at the starting line) and really sucks for street use at least until the gearing gets real high numerical due to bogging at every stop-light/stop-sign.
daily driving and some abuse maybe more than some.