Cheap AC recharge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyGuy572

Reaction score
I have a 91 k1500 I recently got going and all of the ac hoses where missing. I know to recharge it you need a few hundred bucks for some fancy equipment to charge it. Obviously i will have to buy refrigerant but i know the pump will pull somewhat of a vacuum on its own. Also the new hoses don't seem like they are leaking. I'm young and don't care too much about it's performance, I just don't want the hot air from the engine bay blowing in my face 24/7.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 k1500 I recently got going and all of the ac hoses where missing.

I would give up on it now.

Everything that’s been open (possibly for years) needs to be serviced because it’s contaminated, on account being open to the atmosphere for so long.

If you want to continue, take everything apart, flush everything out with an appropriate flush (except the condenser, accumulator and compressor, for them buy replacements; even keeping the evaporator is debatable), reassemble with new O-rings and orifice tube, vacuum it for 24 hours to get the flush out of the system (changing the vacuum pump oil religiously because it will become contaminated and won’t draw a good vacuum). If successful, add the proper PAG oil and R134a refrigerant, and give it a go.

I may have a left out a few steps.

I think you get the idea.

Last edited:

ChevyGuy572

Reaction score
"i know the pump will pull somewhat of a vacuum on its own"

What does this mean?
There is a high and low side of the compressor. It pumps from the low side to the high side. I figured by draining the high side while it's pumping might pull a minor vacuum on the low side.

Also: the compressor looks to brand new, I guess if I have to replace the condenser and evaporator. I might just go to a junkyard and find a newer gmt400 to take the because after 93 i think they switched to r134a. Mine is old enough that it uses r12.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also: the compressor looks to brand new

I can't imagine that anyone would put a new(ish) compressor on a vehicle and leave it open to the atmosphere. Why would previous owner have removed all the hoses, effectively abandoning the entire system, if it was functional at all... especially the compressor.

I guess if I have to replace the condenser and evaporator. I might just go to a junkyard and find a newer gmt400 to take the because after 93 i think they switched to r134a. Mine is old enough that it uses r12.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Without prior knowledge about the vehicle, removing AC parts from a junkyard vehicle is almost certainly a waste of time.

With prior knowledge, it may be possible to get useful parts. This is perhaps how yard owners can sell a compressor.

If you're strapped for cash, I get it. But I won't encourage you to waste your time.

Last edited:

ChevyGuy572

Reaction score
I see what you mean. But the compressor had those plastic port covers on it when i got it. The og engine was a tbi v6. The previous owner was swapping in a 350. I'm guessing he just lost interest in it, but I finished the swap with the 350. I figured just as long as it didn't seem like the evaporator and condenser was leaking, or none of the hoses were removed then that would mean that the internals of parts would be free of debris.

ChevyGuy572

Reaction score
"I figured just as long as it didn't seem like the evaporator and condenser was leaking, or none of the hoses were removed then that would mean that the internals of parts would be free of debris."
From a junkyard vehicle.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll play devil's advocate. I left the brick open on my Crown Victoria for something like 11 years. Then one day I grabbed a junkyard compressor, lines, condenser, slapped it on my car, no vacuum, charged with cans, good to go.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'll play devil's advocate. I left the brick open on my Crown Victoria for something like 11 years. Then one day I grabbed a junkyard compressor, lines, condenser, slapped it on my car, no vacuum, charged with cans, good to go.
Good to go for how long? Doing it and doing it right, are two different things.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean. But the compressor had those plastic port covers on it when i got it.

This is news, somewhat encouraging.

The og engine was a tbi v6. The previous owner was swapping in a 350. I'm guessing he just lost interest in it, but I finished the swap with the 350.

OK.

I figured just as long as it didn't seem like the evaporator and condenser was leaking, or none of the hoses were removed then that would mean that the internals of parts would be free of debris.

You said earlier "all of the ac hoses where (were?) missing".

Was it R12 all its life, or did prev owner swap it to R134a?