Carb vs tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Extrawubbs

Reaction score
Looking into swapping the tbi to a carb setup. I have a 5.7 350 1994. Im so tired of messing with the tbi and not running right. I was wondering though, would running a carb provide more power?

n2xlr8n

Reaction score
I doubt it. I'm swapping to a square bore carb, but I fully expect to get less mileage- Though about 75-100 more horsepower due to cylinder heads, exhaust, intake manifold and HR camshaft.

FI (even TBI) dominates in the fuel efficiency world.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TBI will make more power. TBI is also insanely simple and easy to make it run right. Just need to look at the live data coming out of the ECMs datastream to help diagnose what is wrong.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you posted any questions about what's going on with your truck?
I don't think I've ever come across a thread were it wasn't eventually worked out.
These trucks have been around for a long time, and probably every issue with them can be solved, and has been on here.
Switching to a carb may work, or it may not, your issues may be with something else.

Give us a chance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the LSX + Carb Swaps sub-forum.

Looking into swapping the tbi to a carb setup. I have a 5.7 350 1994. Im so tired of messing with the tbi and not running right.
Probably better-off to FIX the TBI system. How are you planning to control the automatic transmission, if your vehicle is so equipped?

would running a carb provide more power?
Maybe. WHAT CARB are you thinking of? Hint: For street use, if it's a Holley or Edelbrock...think again. That is Q-Jet (or maybe Carter Thermoquad) territory. Can you tune a carb 'n' distributor including the vacuum advance? Are you subject to emissions testing/inspections?

Extrawubbs

Reaction score
not actually that much wrong with the tbi. I would just like to have more control over stuff like fuel delivery and such. And if i wont get any more power then why are there two barrell carbs and 4 barrell carbs?

TylerSteez

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a stock engine, TBI all day. TBI has a bad reputation for an unfair reason imo, it's an incredibly simple and reliable system when working correctly that solved all of a carburetors shortcomings. Tunerpro and a cable will let you diagnose the system once you have a basic understanding of what to look for. They just get picked on because its an early and primitive system that is passed it's prime

Schurkey makes a good point about losing the transmission control for the electronic 4l60e/4l80e's in these trucks. I've done light reading about aftermarket controllers but they dont seem as smooth as what the factory incorporated in the ecm of these trucks.

I would maybe switch to a carb if I was to put in a performance engine in. Even at that point I would consider an aftermarket fuel injection system like the holley sniper. I put a built 383 stroker in my trans am and ditched the factory fuel injection and regret it sometimes. The holley street avenger ultra carb I have on that engine is running great right now but it's still not as "get in and go" as a fuel injection system is. That car will eventually have some form of fuel injection back in it, once the small block fails I will go LS and go fuel injection most likely.