Can somebody please explain TBI tuning files and burning chips along with the hardware/software needed? It’s a 1995 so luckily I have OBDII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam454

Reaction score
I have a 1995 454 tbi c2500. I am looking for a how-to on tuning these trucks. All I know is that I need chips, a file editor of some kind, and a way to burn them. My main reason is the removal of the stock cat and getting rid of the fuel required to light it off for efficiency. Also a mild cam.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup,OBD1.
You will need to download TunerPro RT. It's free with a $40 voluntary registration fee.
You will need a prom burner,about $60 on ebay.
You will need an ALDL patch cord,$60
You will need 27SF512 EEPROM's. I recommend at least two. I bought a twofor off Amazon for $20.
Two other goodies that are not necessary but will make tuning much easier and faster is an emulator and a WBO2 sensor and controller. The WBO2 gives you a more accurate readout of air/fuel mixture and the emulator allows you to make changes to your tune on the fly.

The rest is up to you as far as understanding the data and knowing what you can and can't do with it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1995 is OBD1 still. You may have an OBD2 data port but it’s still OBD1.
Yeah, it's OBDI and FWIU still a 12 ALDL port. Some 95 cars came with 16 port but are still OBDI. Also, OBDII PCMs don't come with a "Chip", they are "Flashed" on-board.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's OBDI and FWIU still a 12 ALDL port. Some 95 cars came with 16 port but are still OBDI. Also, OBDII PCMs don't come with a "Chip", they are "Flashed" on-board.
You’re right, I should’ve given some more detail. I haven’t seen a 16 port in the wild yet

Sam454

Reaction score
Yup,OBD1.
You will need to download TunerPro RT. It's free with a $40 voluntary registration fee.
You will need a prom burner,about $60 on ebay.
You will need an ALDL patch cord,$60
You will need 27SF512 EEPROM's. I recommend at least two. I bought a twofor off Amazon for $20.
Two other goodies that are not necessary but will make tuning much easier and faster is an emulator and a WBO2 sensor and controller. The WBO2 gives you a more accurate readout of air/fuel mixture and the emulator allows you to make changes to your tune on the fly.

The rest is up to you as far as understanding the data and knowing what you can and can't do with it.
I found an EPROM programmer on Amazon for 30$. I assume it can program (but not erase) a PROM chip?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found an EPROM programmer on Amazon for 30$. I assume it can program (but not erase) a PROM chip?

That's not an unreasonable assumption.

It might be able to erase an EEPROM; ask the seller.

Most PROMs are either EPROMs, which can be erased by exposure to UV light, or EEPROMs, which are electrically-erasable.

There are true, single-use PROMs out there... or at least there were at one time, probably in the earliest stages of IC development (I'm thinking circa 1980).

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before jumping into flashing and changing files, maybe more reading up what you actually have a how it functions.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... removal of the stock cat and getting rid of the fuel required to light it off for efficiency. Also a mild cam.

I don't believe ANY change to a 1995 is necessary to allow you to remove the cat. Well, maybe a slight tune change would be handy b/c of the lower backpressure. I removed the cat from a 1995 S10 4.3L and drove it like that for years until I got tired of the exhaust smell, then I put the cat back on.

I don't think they "lit off" the cats back then (OBD1), so that's a non-issue IMHO.

If you want to make a tuning change b/c you have a different cam, well that I can appreciate.

Last edited: