Brake booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RossoRacer

Reaction score
My Suburban apparently needs a brake booster because the dealer says the old one is leaking. I looked up the part number they gave me and found exactly ONE of these discontinued parts on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2760932583...jFE3kHUIWYrE9QsyuGuiNXiXM=|tkp:Bk9SR_LE_NqnZA

However, there's options for used parts, that show different part numbers and no picture of the part, from scrapyards for a MUCH cheaper price. Will it work?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not too bad to replace one, pulling brake switch is the most difficult part. That being said, I’d buy a new one off RockAuto and avoid a junkyard booster.

RossoRacer

Reaction score
It's been discontinued for awhile now, and aftermarket power steering pumps won't last in a GMT-400 from what I've heard. Assuming the brake booster is the same way, it's either a junkyard find or that $485.50 new one.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What exactly have you heard and what is the source of your information? Let's test your hearsay and research against technical knowledge and and experience of members.

fisher

Reaction score
My Suburban apparently needs a brake booster because the dealer says the old one is leaking. I looked up the part number they gave me and found exactly ONE of these discontinued parts on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/276093258375?itmmeta=01J4YTZ49KQP242YN7XGHWD1YR&hash=item404870ca87:g:gt8AAOSwHrdmM5DP&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA0MyruH3m3WTx0cISdy3OSGVoP4RzPhqXgx+uiceGmuzMDj1oR5PqduRS6xLKwsY/cAS0vaZm4W1d7w+2WaKEDeQlRjfJvIBWUTaJNMKJYP0NQOTLKOhK7RKFG05FrRebXEgfBi9nw93dDZdiFJgwF9i0ddKd71MgqRfZqkdDcwagnwvp7G6UK2AoGTG9H4hF53S5LOGFYEcOCd2aSd6sePwmvUZoBgfu0M3sGijMXMZm8LZkp4dMwCgdqAYv4vjFE3kHUIWYrE9QsyuGuiNXiXM=|tkp:Bk9SR_LE_NqnZA

However, there's options for used parts, that show different part numbers and no picture of the part, from scrapyards for a MUCH cheaper price. Will it work?
Chances are that the used hydraulic boosters from salvage yards leak also. They all develop the same leak around the piston seal and seeps out the weep hole at the master cylinder interface. There are rebuild kits for less than $40 that sometimes work to repair the leak. I did a rebuild early this year on my 2000 k2500. Three months later it started leaking again worse than before. I haven't deciided on what to do: rebuild again or replace with new or remanufactured booster.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like rock auto has new ones (skp) for like 165 or so. Idk that i would pay triple for the "oem" from ebay as i have had fairly good luck w rock auto but cant say the same for amazon. You also may want to check summit or lmc too.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, i purchased my (new if irc) ps pump from rockauto and its been fine for about a yr.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been discontinued for awhile now, and aftermarket power steering pumps won't last in a GMT-400 from what I've heard. Assuming the brake booster is the same way, it's either a junkyard find or that $485.50 new one.
You really should mention what your truck is and brake rpo.

RossoRacer

Reaction score
I have a '98 Suburban K2500, pics have been posted in other threads. Figured that part might be known by now, but no biggie. My brother has told me that he's replaced a power steering pump on a GMT-400 belonging to somebody he knew, and the aftermarket units never lasted more than a month(after multiple attempts), but a factory model did. I seem to recall mechanics confirming this to me, and don't wanna waste money I barely have on the wrong part. Hence why I'm posting here. Just trying to make sure of what will work.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '98 Suburban K2500, pics have been posted in other threads.
There’s 55,472 members and I would struggle to keep up with what most long time members drive. It just makes it more likely someone will help you if they aren’t spending time figuring out what you’re working on.