Blown Head Gasket repair cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grandpa_truck

Reaction score
88 C1500 350 TBI.
I got home from a 7 mile drive and noticed I was running hot, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary, coolant level was good after cool down, was boiling (when hot) new Tstat, oil looked good, etc… noticed I had some bugs in the rad fins so I blew them out and didn’t see much else of concern. Truck ran normal for 4 more days and then overheated again this afternoon. With my day job on the farm and harvest season and hurricane season coming next week I’m tied up 24/7 so I brought it to a local shop that diagnosed as head gasket, they quoted me $2500-3000 to resurface heads, replace gasket and change fan clutch. I don’t know market prices since I usually fumble my way through doing my own repairs… but just wanted someone that’s done this job to tell me how far off or on par is that quote. If I’m getting g bent over a barrel I’ll drive my farm service rig and park the truck for a few months in hopes I get the time.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Grandpa_truck

Reaction score
Yeah, what work are they quoting, and what parts, or worst case scenarios ? One or both heads?
What did they
As it reads when they sent me the quote via text, both heads, gaskets, water pump fan clutch and labor. Just looking under the hood, looks to me like a fair bit of work but, that’s me poking around deciphering what’s going to break taking a 40 year old too end apart

Grandpa_truck

Reaction score
Yeah, what work are they quoting, and what parts, or worst case scenarios ? One or both heads?
What did they find?
Simple diag lead them to head gasket when they pressure tested it, and they followed up with the text I screenshot and attached here. Wish I wasn’t looking at an incoming hurricane right at the start of harvest season or I’d do it myself. I’m sure it take 4x the time and aggravation but I guess I’m stuck paying for what I’m not able to do. Only reputable shop around in a very rural area

Attachments

• IMG_5010.jpeg
    IMG_5010.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 22

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre '96 trucks are fairly easy to work on,the amount of work you state should take less than a day.
My son and I did the heads on my 88 in ~6 hours a few years ago but, that didn't include surfacing and magnaflux - they were new heads. He has all the tools and I hand them to him, lol. He said most of the head jobs he does at work take ~6 - 8 hours.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple diag lead them to head gasket when they pressure tested it, and they followed up with the text I screenshot and attached here. Wish I wasn’t looking at an incoming hurricane right at the start of harvest season or I’d do it myself. I’m sure it take 4x the time and aggravation but I guess I’m stuck paying for what I’m not able to do. Only reputable shop around in a very rural area
Yeah,and you're getting the only shop in town price.
Do you need the truck for harvest?

Grandpa_truck

Reaction score
Yeah,and you're getting the only shop in town price.
Do you need the truck for harvest?
Nah it’s my to and from work daily driver, our farm trucks are all diesels. I guess you’re right though. Not much else to choose from shop wise and when you’re the only game in town it comes at a premium. I may just park it and see how my late fall season schedule goes if I want to save some coin