Block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zodiac572

Reaction score
Living in ontario, looking to see if anyone has ever installed a block heater on a 95 gmc c2500 ? And any tips

Thank you

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't installed one in 3 decades.
But basically you are doing a coolant change as well.
And as @99xcss4 mentioned, it's like doing freeze plugs.
If you haven't done them before, they are the circle looking things on the side of the block, under/behind the manifolds.
Not rocket surgery, but definitely a bit messy if you don't get most of your coolant out.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Living in ontario, looking to see if anyone has ever installed a block heater on a 95 gmc c2500 ? And any tips

Thank you
Living in Alaska, I have done many! Make sure your on the plugs between cylinders, as the heater wont fit in the others. My way is to hit the frost plug on one side with a blunt object so it spins sideways instead of going inside. Grab it with channel locks and pop it out using the block as pry leverage. Install a high quality heater, because the cheap ones never seal good, I think the metal is too weak on them to pressure in right. Also, I have had two come out on higher RMP's, but I didn't install those. I cant find a picture, but its typically the plug behind the starter. One on the other side works also.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Living in Alaska, I have done many! Make sure your on the plugs between cylinders, as the heater wont fit in the others. My way is to hit the frost plug on one side with a blunt object so it spins sideways instead of going inside. Grab it with channel locks and pop it out using the block as pry leverage. Install a high quality heater, because the cheap ones never seal good, I think the metal is too weak on them to pressure in right. Also, I have had two come out on higher RMP's, but I didn't install those. I cant find a picture, but its typically the plug behind the starter. One on the other side works also.
And make sure the heater element doesn't touch the block after installed!