Best drop 2/4 kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zavier001

Reaction score
I want a 2/4 drop kit on my 97 c1500 ext cab however I want no issues with clearance or having to cut/trim anything other than the rear ofc to get the old hardware off. I also plan on doing a front end rebuild while I’m there. I plan on doing this myself so might take a day or two. I’ve seen rough country’s and Belltech w/shocks any ideas or personal experiences?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want a 2/4 drop kit on my 97 c1500 ext cab however I want no issues with clearance or having to cut/trim anything other than the rear ofc to get the old hardware off. I also plan on doing a front end rebuild while I’m there. I plan on doing this myself so might take a day or two. I’ve seen rough country’s and Belltech w/shocks any ideas or personal experiences?
If you are going to rebuild the front anyway, time and money wise, probably best to use dropped control arms. Just unbolt old and install new, pretty straightforward. Then you have new ball joints and bushings with no drama.
And you keep the stock springs for better ride vs dropped ones which are pretty stiff.

And if you are running stock 15" wheels, you may run into issues using certain drop spindles.

Just be aware that the front leaf spring hangers are a bugger to do, especially the drivers side. And if you do take them off, KEEP THEM tucked away somewhere. As you will need them again when you finally decide to do a 7" flip kit! Lol

As for brands, Belltech, DJM, Western Chassis, McGhaughys and a few others have been around forever. Avoid any cheap crap off of Amazon or eBay...your life is worth more than saving a few bucks.

Zavier001

Reaction score
Okay so the 15” will be an issue do I go a size up or down? And I can’t find any kits for the 2/4 drop. Is the part number 690ND from bellltech good?

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so the 15” will be an issue do I go a size up or down?
15" may not be an issue. I think what my friend from the Great White North is trying to get at is, if you use drop springs or control arms in the front, it probably won't matter or matter less. The drop spindles is where I have read about issues with the 15" wheels. The offset of the wheel would come into play as well.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Belltech makes good stuff, been in the game a long time, hell they basically invented the game.

That kit has the Nitro 2 shocks, find the one that has the "Street Performer" ones, they are the best they have and are worth the price difference.

If you are willing to go to bigger wheels, like 17", there will be no interference between the wheel and lower control arm. BUT.....all that needs to happen if you stay 15" is to busy out the grinder and trim a bit of the control arms, no big deal.

But be aware.....the Belltech spindles move the wheel out a bit. But that shouldn't be an issue with only a 2" drop. And if you are upping your wheel size be aware of the backspacing, which if I remember correctly is 4.5" or more to stay out of trouble.