Barn Find IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clickbait title. The barn is my shop and I put the car there three months ago. But! It does have:
-Inauthentic "barn dust" which was actually just a 200 mile road trip in the pouring rain
-Oxidized everything from being stored outside for two years
-Non-running condition
-Bonus electrical issues

So I sort of barn-found myself. Or at least barn-finding myself needing to get my car running again.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah I fender cover care about this one. Anyway, I've got no spark at the plugs, and no spark coming out of the coil. I consulted the holy tome:

Failing Step 2 and Step 3. Unless I'm really not hitting the contacts in there, and it feels like I am, my lightning can has become a lightning can't.

Now I have to roll the dice on the 'what coil is good' game, and/or just buy new Davis Unified Ignition everything and not tell the wife. Will update irregularly as I make progress.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Unless I'm really not hitting the contacts in there
Slide a paperclip or piece of shim stock down into the contact?
Or short lead with two alligator clips, one on the probe, one on paperclip/shim into contact.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Shame about the click-bait title, but looks to be a nice car.

X2 on the stock coil. If you have one in your parts stash, try that or temporarily pluck one from another vehicle to test.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jammed some wires into the coil and tested it again, it's not the problem. I don't know what it is yet, but I think I know what it is.

Digicals.

I didn't find this car in a barn. I found it outside in the woods, where it sat for 11 years until the corrosion got to it and the feller didn't know how to bring it back anymore.

I should also mention I've got no blinkers, and no instrument cluster. When I give the fusebox the right kung-fu grip, I can briefly get the gauges to power and I can hear the subtle whir of the ecm power on. But it doesn't last. So I'm pretty sure the problem I sidestepped three years ago by just letting the fusebox hang and do its thing isn't working out for me anymore.

So I did the right thing and absolutely drenched the fusebox with QD Electrical Cleaner after removing the battery.

Hey it worked last time.