Bad running after manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know how it'd be the wires from the coil to the ICM though. The issue started with the old connector(its a double sided connector, 1 end to ICM and 1 end to ign. coil so easy to replace) and I did think it could be those, because the previous owner spliced into it for some reason and it was shorting, which gave my finger a shock, so at the junkyard I picked up a replacement of them. Replacing them made no difference at all, problem stayed the exact same.

WAIT, explain this to me again.

You got a shock by touching which wire? One of the wires from the coil to the ICM?

I know there's perhaps 100V on one of those wires, so it's possible to get a noticeable, but mild shock.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Ill either get that or the one I posted above, it's an ACDelco one. In the reviews this is what it looks like, decently thick.

What's the part number on that ACDelco strap, for my notes? It looks like a decent gauge strap in the picture you posted.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WAIT, explain this to me again.

You got a shock by touching which wire? One of the wires from the coil to the ICM?

I know there's perhaps 100V on one of those wires, so it's possible to get a noticeable, but mild shock.
So pretty much like 2-3 weeks ago earlier in the thread, when I was diagnosing with the original wires from the coil to ICM, I noticed there was a bare spot in one of those 2 wires(cant remember which of the 2 now, but I want to say it was the white one). The previous owner had spliced in a wire for something there and left it bare. When I noticed it, My first instinct was to go grab it and wiggle it. When I grabbed it, it gave me a bit of a shock. It was noticeable but not very painful at all, less than a shock from a spark plug wire. After that is when I went to the junkyard and got a replacement coil to ICM connector, and it looks better but not great. And of course it didn't fix the problem.

I did order the one from Amazon though that I sent a picture of yesterday.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosing with the original wires from the coil to ICM, I noticed there was a bare spot in one of those 2 wires(cant remember which of the 2 now, but I want to say it was the white one). The previous owner had spliced in a wire for something there and left it bare. When I noticed it, My first instinct was to go grab it and wiggle it. When I grabbed it, it gave me a bit of a shock. It was noticeable but not very painful at all, less than a shock from a spark plug wire.

WTF did the PO spice a wire onto it or otherwise strip insulation from it to access it??? Hmm...

Do you have that old wire assembly still? I would like to see a picture of that "bare" spot. Call me curious. If you can...

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WTF did the PO spice a wire onto it or otherwise strip insulation from it to access it??? Hmm...

Do you have that old wire assembly still? I would like to see a picture of that "bare" spot. Call me curious. If you can...
The wire that was spliced into it must've had something to do with the remote starter that was installed in the truck. I removed it mid process of doing the manual swap.(when I was installing the clutch pedal iirc). I wonder if he was pulling tach signal or something from it?

You can see the bare wire with a zip tie around it then a break in it close to where the zip tie is.
You must be registered for see images

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wire that was spliced into it must've had something to do with the remote starter that was installed in the truck. I removed it mid process of doing the manual swap.(when I was installing the clutch pedal iirc). I wonder if he was pulling tach signal or something from it?

Thank you, everything you said makes sense :waytogo:

It looks like he used one of those insulation displacement splice connectors on it. It's good that you've removed it; broken insulation / exposed copper is a recipe for a problem, as I'm sure you're aware.

I was looking on my Suburban this morning for the ground straps and son-of-a-***** they are hidden back behind the engine! I still haven't found them although I know they're there... I've seen them before(!).

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you, everything you said makes sense :waytogo:

It looks like he used one of those insulation displacement splice connectors on it. It's good that you've removed it; broken insulation / exposed copper is a recipe for a problem, as I'm sure you're aware.
Oh yeah I'm well aware of that, that's what caused the interior fire last summer, thankfully new seats, headliner, carpet and sun visors fixed that up.

That's why I was less suspect of these 2 wires last night when I crossed them off the diagram, because the harness I got from the junkyard looks a lot better than what was on there. No obvious cracks in the insulation or anything.

But for $17, it's worth getting a totally new harness with the 2 connectors. Just something else to rule out at this point.

Still skeptical of the 12v ignition wire on the coil(gray connector). When I was doing testing when I moved that connector with wire down to the intake/dizzy area with a multimeter attached the voltage did drop to almost nothing. But still I'm not sure if that's because it shorted out or if I moved the prongs on the multimeter, because later I couldn't get it to do it again.

That's why I want to direct wire the coil to the battery for test purposes.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still skeptical of the 12v ignition wire on the coil(gray connector). When I was doing testing when I moved that connector with wire down to the intake/dizzy area with a multimeter attached the voltage did drop to almost nothing. But still I'm not sure if that's because it shorted out or if I moved the prongs on the multimeter, because later I couldn't get it to do it again.

That's why I want to direct wire the coil to the battery for test purposes.

Is there any evidence of insulation puncture on that +12 wire, at least on the extent of the wire that's visible to you... insulation puncture, abuse, abrasion, "man-handling", anything atypical? Has the insulation gotten hard and stiff from age / heat?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any evidence of insulation puncture on that +12 wire, at least on the extent of the wire that's visible to you... insulation puncture, abuse, abrasion, "man-handling", anything atypical?
Well I mean inside the cab under the dash it was cobbled with for the remote starter as well.

There was about an inch section of exposed wire from where he tapped into it. I tightly reinsulated with electrical tape, made no difference.

I also removed the loom and electrical tape from the engine harness before it went to the shop and followed that wire all the way to the bulkhead, nothing seemed really out of place with it, it actually looked pretty decent, so I put the loom back around the harness and wrapped it all in electrical tape again.

The connector seems okay, the wire going into the connector seems like it might be a little bit swollen/bent.

Below I put a picture of what the wire going into the gray connector looks like.

Still suspicious of it for sure.
You must be registered for see images attach