Bad running after manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also found this, while less thick it's 20 inches long, which is more than enough.

You must be registered for see images attach

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for spam, but for safe being I will replace the wires coming from the coil to the ICM with new connectors and wire, as oppose to the junkyard ones I have on it.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A variety of them are listed here on RockAuto, although this one above seems like the better bet. There's also a 12" version of the same strap, SMP B12G, and others B14G, B16G, B18G... you get the idea.

Last edited:

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

A variety of them are listed here on RockAuto, although this one above seems like the better bet. There's also a 12" version of the same strap, SMP B12G.

Thank you! Ill either get that or the one I posted above, it's an ACDelco one. In the reviews this is what it looks like, decently thick.

Hopefully the coil to ICM wires im buying will work out, there's 2 bad reviews saying it's junk lol.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the reason I'm so focused on this is because I need to replace the straps on my '98 Suburban... so I'm sorta helping myself, here.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A variety of them are listed here on RockAuto, although this one above seems like the better bet. There's also a 12" version of the same strap, SMP B12G, and others B14G, B16G, B18G... you get the idea.

A 4-gauge ground strap would be sufficient for the ~200 amp draw of the starter motor. It's ENORMOUSLY overkill for a body-to-frame, or body-to-engine ground.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 4-gauge ground strap would be sufficient for the ~200 amp draw of the starter motor. It's ENORMOUSLY overkill for a body-to-frame, or body-to-engine ground.

A slightly lighter gauge strap might suffice but this one was easy to find.

I’ve measured currents in ground straps (body to engine) on a Honda Accord ‘98, using a Fluke 36 clamp meter (DC capable), approaching 100A, all accessories on (rear defrost, blower high, all headlamps on, etc… max load I could generate shy of cigarette lighter).

All the alternator current has to find its way back, somehow. Specifically, all current not grounded to the engine / alternator via other means.

ECU (logic and sensor grounds), ICM typically ground directly to the engine.

On GMT400s some alternator current finds its way via the fender connection - battery cable - engine path. The rest traverses the ground straps.

The GMT400 starter is a battery-only load, it’s current returns via battery cable.

I believe on some larger trucks and heavy equipment the frame is used as a ground, and large straps, like I pictured earlier or heavier, capable of handling starting currents are used engine-to-frame and battery-to-frame.

Last edited:

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input on ground straps guys! I ended up ordering the acdelco ones I found earlier, they heavy but not too too heavy, should be good for what I need it for.