Bad Idle and will die after many parts and trys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pawman

Reaction score
93 K1500 one owner with 150k. Love the truck but has had issue at idle. slight miss and will die at a light etc. Runs Great other than idle makes me think plugs are of.
Prev-owner replaced plugs/rotor/dist cap.
I decided to replace much under hood as this is my daily driver now including
Idle Control valve
throttle control sensor
MAP and the vac line to it
MAP control... where MAP vac line terminates
EGR valve and vac line
Both Fuel injectors after they failed a test.
Also adjusted timing(wire disconnected)
Did the procedure to drain ICU to reset
What would be left? Should the TBI base be rebuilt? Could a gasket on it be the issue?
Trying hard not to have to leave at a shop a week to get looked at so any ideas??
Surely not related but temp sender di not seem to be registering correct and went out today to no reading

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long and or how many miles since this was done ? After IAC was a relearn performed ? Is plug for Minimum idle rate screw removed ? What is IAC counts at hot idle in gear ? Have you downloaded service manual from sticky thread above that is titled 88-98 service manuals, look for fuel and emissions manual, look at symptoms and go from there in service manual. Hope this helps, let us know

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE???

has had issue at idle. slight miss and will die at a light etc. Runs Great other than idle
Vacuum leaks (air leak into manifold vacuum) are worst at idle, become less important as the throttle opens.

Have you looked at the magnet on the distributor shaft? They're often broken.
You must be registered for see images attach

makes me think plugs are of.
"Of" what?

Prev-owner replaced plugs/rotor/dist cap.
How long ago? How many miles?

I decided to replace much under hood as this is my daily driver now including
Idle Control valve
throttle control sensor
MAP and the vac line to it
MAP control... where MAP vac line terminates
EGR valve and vac line
What diagnosis was done before replacing these parts?

What is a "MAP control"?

Did you check the EGR solenoid? Are the EGR hoses connected properly?

Both Fuel injectors after they failed a test.
WHAT test?

Did the procedure to drain ICU to reset
WHAT procedure? WHAT is an ICU?

What would be left?
More than I have time to type.

Should the TBI base be rebuilt?
Does it need rebuilding?

Could a gasket on it be the issue?
Yes, it "could" be. The trick is figuring out which one(s).

any ideas??
Perform a cranking compression test on each cylinder.

Verify spark plug wires.

Replace O2 sensor. A 3-wire heated sensor is recommended, but even an original-replacement one-wire sensor would be acceptable.

Connect a scan tool, verify EVERY sensor and computer output.

Surely not related but temp sender di not seem to be registering correct and went out today to no reading
So the instrument cluster temp gauge doesn't work? Coolant level good? Wire still connected to the sending unit?

pawman

Reaction score
I am going to do the idle reset procedure with a paper clip. port A and B ,, then throw salt over my should and hopp backwards on one foot. hope it works

pawman

Reaction score
How long and or how many miles since this was done ? After IAC was a relearn performed ? Is plug for Minimum idle rate screw removed ? What is IAC counts at hot idle in gear ? Have you downloaded service manual from sticky thread above that is titled 88-98 service manuals, look for fuel and emissions manual, look at symptoms and go from there in service manual. Hope this helps, let us know
just reading on the reset but thanks.. doing it in the morning but just looked and the access to it has never been breached.. Would that mean it is factory set now and leave it

pawman

Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE???

Vacuum leaks (air leak into manifold vacuum) are worst at idle, become less important as the throttle opens.

"Of" what?

What is a "MAP control"?

WHAT test?

Does it need rebuilding?

Verify spark plug wires.

Replace O2 sensor. A 3-wire heated sensor is recommended, but even an original-replacement one-wire sensor would be acceptable.

So the instrument cluster temp gauge doesn't work? Coolant level good? Wire still connected to the sending unit?
yes just gauge.. Actually runs cooler than I expect so gonna get a new one and go from there. Don't mind these kind of parts so I know what I have

pawman

Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE???

"Of" what?

What is a "MAP control"?

WHAT test?

Does it need rebuilding?

Verify spark plug wires.

andyes coolant level good. If it runs great at all other times but Idle would not the plugs and 02 be ok. I am not sure and asking

pawman

Reaction score
andyes coolant level good. If it runs great at all other times but Idle would not the plugs and 02 be ok. I am not sure and asking
it's a 350. I did replace 2 vac lines.. And did an old time check by spraying around other hoses and no extra stumble. May just do the O2 as well. It is in really good shape but bet it has never been replaced

pawman

Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE???

"Of" what?

What is a "MAP control"?

WHAT test?

Does it need rebuilding?

Verify spark plug wires.

I see more questions for me than I can answer. I promise if I knew them all I would lay out as technical of an answer as I could. I may have misunderstood what the forum was for. Thanks for some good things to look at from here and I am making notes and a list. hoping at this point idle control reset will do it since I have not done that since replacing it
just reading on the reset but thanks.. doing it in the morning but just looked and the access to it has never been breached.. Would that mean it is factory set now and leave it
the plug is still over the idle screw. should I just leave it be

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If plug for minimum idle rate has not been removed , leave it alone because that's good , you won't have to chase iac counts,tps settings , glad your reading manuals, they will help you along. Keep us informed about progress and we will try to be of assistance if needed. Good luck