Are Wheel spacer lugs to be torqued to the same specs as wheel lugs ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have wondered this question for awhile .
Most good or generic spacer manufacturers or sellers offer a torque rating for wheel spacer lugs and then there’s the 130- 140ftlbs spec for the c1500 that most use on the rotor lugs .

Should spacers regardless be torqued to the same 130-140ftlb as the wheel lugs or should you go by what the manufacturer / sellers rate ? The Set I have currently stated 80ftlb but it’s an eBay special deal on the spacers.. so wasn’t taking that spec but with a grain of salt .
I believe I seen someone here mentioned to torque ( spacers) the same as the oem cast wheels lug spec

It would seem as if the only difference would be the quality or durability in the studs themselves. I assume a vehicle replacement rotor stud ‘ might be more reliable and less likely to be compromised with 140ftlbs than a aftermarket spacer / stud

Last edited:

Jroctizzle

Reaction score
Usually what the manufacturer recommends as anything more might stretch the bolts out, you could replace the spacer studs with oem studs to be sure 130ftlb won’t do structural damage to the bolts. Better that than have them break and lose a wheel on the road! Just basing that on what I would do.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Usually what the manufacturer recommends as anything more might stretch the bolts out, you could replace the spacer studs with oem studs to be sure 130ftlb won’t do structural damage to the bolts. Better that than have them break and lose a wheel on the road! Just basing that on what I would do.
Thanks for that info cause I have had these 2” spacers at 140ftlb for a few days now I’m using them again! And I am absolutely concerned about that. The seller rated them for 80ftlb, but i was going off what I was told on here awhile back

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So im assuming you mean by your reply is what I’m about to say ….

“The spacers specs I have say 80ft/lbs. So, do I attach the spacer to the
rotor / drums at 140 ft/lbs and then attach the wheels to the spacer lugs at 80ft/lbs ?
Since the “spacers studs” state 80ftlbs kinda follow me on this?

Discount / belle tire / and some other places said long story short do the wheel spacers regardless of brand and the wheels torque to the same spec as the truck calls for 140ftlbs on the spacers and the rotors .

So just checking here to see that’s what the consensus is.

Last edited:

Jroctizzle

Reaction score
Spacers to factory hub at factory rating (140ftlb) and wheels to spacers at manufacturer ftlb yes. If they aren’t using bolts capable of 140 ftlb the extra torque load on them may stretch them beyond their tensile capabilities and permanently deform them, making them weaker. I have spacers on the back of my truck at the moment and did the manufacture recommendation for the spacer lugs. I also check the torque on them every so often to make sure they are still snug as they aren’t at the oem spec. But the spacers to the hub I have at oem torque spec.