Aftermarket Gauge Reading High

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey I have a 1988 TBI 350 Blazer with a 700r4. I installed a while ago a B&M trans temp gauge into the pressure test port to read the temp in the trans. It always read high but I figured it might just be innacurate and the trans runs a little hot. So either way finally I was sick of seeing my trans gauge in the red even though I have a monster cooler so I checked with a laser thermometer. When the gauge read 220 the pan was around 140-150 degrees, the hot lines going into the rad were around 140ish and going back to the trans after the cooler were around 100-120. This was after a short drive. I grounded the gauge good and i put a secondary ground from thr sender to the frame but it still reads too high. Any ideas??

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd try another gauge.
The line pressure port is usually 10-15* higher than the pan temp.

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been having a lot of problems with pressure sensors lately being way out of calibration. I have been checking every gauge and sensor against a known pressure source before trusting the readings. You can do the same with your temp gauge by boiling some water and dipping the sender into it and check against a thermometer for accuracy. These days you can never take for granted that even a new item will be accurate, especially when it is critical for the longevity of your drive train.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wilk test the boiling water, if it is off do we think its the sender?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been having a lot of problems with pressure sensors lately being way out of calibration. I have been checking every gauge and sensor against a known pressure source before trusting the readings. You can do the same with your temp gauge by boiling some water and dipping the sender into it and check against a thermometer for accuracy. These days you can never take for granted that even a new item will be accurate, especially when it is critical for the longevity of your drive train.
Post-Covid everything seems to be junk..
I test every Map/Pressure sensor and Temp sensor before using them.