Adding the factory equalizer to a non equalizer equipped truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmboy2188

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1992 c1500 reg cab, I have the higher trim radio factory installed, I’ve wondered if I could put the factory equalizer in the truck i have the actual equalizer and the radio out of a truck at the wreckers, no head unit though. Is it as simple as plugging in the new to me radio and the equalizer to the existing head unit or am i missing something. Thanks in advance

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1992 c1500 reg cab, I have the higher trim radio factory installed, I’ve wondered if I could put the factory equalizer in the truck i have the actual equalizer and the radio out of a truck at the wreckers, no head unit though. Is it as simple as plugging in the new to me radio and the equalizer to the existing head unit or am i missing something. Thanks in advance
I believe the CDM (the box up under the dash between the radio and tape deck) has to be changed as well. To a one that came from a EQ truck . 99% certain.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh my....just saw your an Alberta boy....we are slowly taking over!!! Lol
I'm just north of Edmonton.

So welcome to the forum.

Feel free to post pics of your truck.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I believe the CDM (the box up under the dash between the radio and tape deck) has to be changed as well. To a one that came from a EQ truck . 99% certain.
This is correct. The head you use with the EQ can be either the one designed for the 5-band EQ that doesn't have the Bass and Treb buttons, ooooorrrrrrrr you can run an extra data wire from the CDM to the back of the EQ, because the Bass/Treb head lacks this extra pigtail. EQ display won't work without that data wire and you'll be missing the ability to work those extra three bands of it.

farmboy2188

Reaction score
So will the existing harness work in the truck if i get the new radio, equalizer and head unit or do i need to run new wires?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Your existing harness will work. Just get the CDM, headunit and equalizer. My truck was originally equipped with the base cassette and someone swapped a cheap Alpine in. I put a radio with an equalizer in it and it's been working great.