AC won't come on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flalogdog

Reaction score
I have a 1997 pu which sat for about 8 months, waiting on a fuel pressure regulator replacement. It then had to have a fairly new fuel pump replaced. We swapped relays trying to eliminate the fuel pump. Last week, I replaced the blower motor. Now, the AC compressor will not come on and the little AC light won't come on. None of the actuators will work and it's stuck on defrost vent. Can anyone give me an idea where to start?

H2814D

Reaction score
Could be several things, but you need to go about checking them in a way that will solve the problem. Does that new fan motor you installed come on? If not, are you sure it works? Have you blown a fuse somewhere that is AC related? Did you disrupt something in the fuse box that did something to the circuit when you messed with the relays? Did you disrupt the vacuum lines under the dash that operate the different vent settings? Forget to reattach a wire connection? Is the refrigerant level adequate in the AC system? If it sat for a while the orings may have dried out and your refrigerant may have escaped. You can test the compressor by jumping the low pressure switch on the accumulator by the firewall. If is it low don't run the compressor any longer than you would need to see it come on. Like I said, too many things to know what to check first.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. You said you swapped around relays. maybe bad or misplaced relay.

flalogdog

Reaction score
Could be several things, but you need to go about checking them in a way that will solve the problem. Does that new fan motor you installed come on? If not, are you sure it works? Have you blown a fuse somewhere that is AC related? Did you disrupt something in the fuse box that did something to the circuit when you messed with the relays? Did you disrupt the vacuum lines under the dash that operate the different vent settings? Forget to reattach a wire connection? Is the refrigerant level adequate in the AC system? If it sat for a while the orings may have dried out and your refrigerant may have escaped. You can test the compressor by jumping the low pressure switch on the accumulator by the firewall. If is it low don't run the compressor any longer than you would need to see it come on. Like I said, too many things to know what to check first.
Thanks , IV checked the fuses, blower works. I was going to try the Freon next