Ac issue on a 97 c1500 OBS Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
So I replaced all ac parts in the truck, and it was cooling just fine till the other day. I jumped in made a Lowes run and all it would do is blow hot air, came home added just a bit of Freon, and she was cold again. Now when I say I replaced everything, I mean everything BUT the Evaporator. SO now I'm looking into that stupid thing. My question I have for you guys is Do I have to add oil back into the system when I replace this thing? I know I have to replace the dryer also cause the system is open, but when filling back up the truck with Freon do I need to add oil?
Thank you all help is appreciated .
Not sure where to get the part, as Rock auto used to be the go to, but their shipping pricing are getting out of hand.

Tonto13

Reaction score
So I replaced all ac parts in the truck, and it was cooling just fine till the other day. I jumped in made a Lowes run and all it would do is blow hot air, came home added just a bit of Freon, and she was cold again. Now when I say I replaced everything, I mean everything BUT the Evaporator. SO now I'm looking into that stupid thing. My question I have for you guys is Do I have to add oil back into the system when I replace this thing? I know I have to replace the dryer also cause the system is open, but when filling back up the truck with Freon do I need to add oil?
Thank you all help is appreciated .
Not sure where to get the part, as Rock auto used to be the go to, but their shipping pricing are getting out of hand.
I went to Harbor Freight and bought the a/c transfer hoses, vaccum pump, and ran to O'Reilly for the pag-146 oil and steel rental tool tank I bought brand new. I spent about 140 on everything. Came home and watched a few YouTube videos and learned how to evap/ fill my system. I would definitely go with Harbor Freight lines and vaccum pump as I've had mine for a couple of years now and have used 4 times and loaned the stuff out to friends.

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
I went to Harbor Freight and bought the a/c transfer hoses, vaccum pump, and ran to O'Reilly for the pag-146 oil and steel rental tool tank I bought brand new. I spent about 140 on everything. Came home and watched a few YouTube videos and learned how to evap/ fill my system. I would definitely go with Harbor Freight lines and vaccum pump as I've had mine for a couple of years now and have used 4 times and loaned the stuff out to friends.
I have a pump and gauges, what im asking is like when you replace the compressor you have to add oil to the system. Do you have to re add the oil if you remove the Dryer and evaporator?