AC delete on ‘96 5.7 Vortec - Belt questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EarthRocker82

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you everyone, you pointed me in the right direction, I didn’t even know bypass pulleys were a thing. I can see now that I’m about 7mm too big on the pulley I tried to use for a replacement (which I found thru random searching trying to find a match on what is on the truck). Where would a person find a GM genuine bypass pulley, just for giggles? RA doesn’t mention one and I won’t be going to my local Chevy dealer for it. Since this is just my old work truck I’ll definitely be leaning toward the economical end of the spectrum.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you everyone, you pointed me in the right direction, I didn’t even know bypass pulleys were a thing. I can see now that I’m about 7mm too big on the pulley I tried to use for a replacement (which I found thru random searching trying to find a match on what is on the truck). Where would a person find a GM genuine bypass pulley, just for giggles? RA doesn’t mention one and I won’t be going to my local Chevy dealer for it. Since this is just my old work truck I’ll definitely be leaning toward the economical end of the spectrum.

A GM bypass pulley? No such thing, that's aftermarket. If you want GM, you're stuck with a non-AC idler pulley, and buying the appropriate belt for a non-ac truck.