AC compressor bearing- need some opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SierraK2500

Reaction score
On my 94 C1500, 5.7, the AC compressor/clutch is making a metal on metal grinding noise, that sounds like a bad bearing. I took the belt off and spun the pulley by hand to confirm that was where the noise was coming from. It doesn’t matter if the air is on or off. The air works fine, nothing locked up yet, but I’m sure it will soon if I don’t do anything. So I guess my choices are replace the whole compressor, replace the clutch, replace the bearing, or install the bypass pulley and not have air. I don’t use the air often, but it’s a nice truck and I kind of want it to work just because it’s there. I also don’t want to spend $200+ to replace the compressor if I could just replace the bearing for around $20. Should I attempt to just replace the bearing or the clutch? Is there anyway to be sure that’s the only problem before I take it apart?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I could just replace the bearing for around $20.
It'd be a challenge to replace just the bearing since it's peened in place. There's some tools you'll need too. It's not easy but, you can change the clutch without draining the system.

www.gmt400.com/threads/swapping-the-clutch-on-an-r4-a-c-compressor.49928/

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to be sure that’s the only problem before I take it apart?

You’ve already done what I would do… remove the belt and spin the pulley, feeling for roughness and listening for telltale noises.

“Borrow” the tools you need from your store of choice to R&R the clutch, buy the bearing along with a 12pk of beverages to enjoy after the job is done.

Look up the process on YouTube.

Can you get a bearing for $20?

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you even still get a clutch assembly? My clutch is out and I know Four Seasons sells them but some of the reviews say they do not work on the stock units.

SierraK2500

Reaction score
I would swap the bearing but you may need a puller to get the compressor pulley off.
Thank you.
It'd be a challenge to replace just the bearing since it's peened in place. There's some tools you'll need too. It's not easy but, you can change the clutch without draining the system.

www.gmt400.com/threads/swapping-the-clutch-on-an-r4-a-c-compressor.49928/

Thanks for the link, that’s very helpful. I think that’s what I’m going to do.
You’ve already done what I would do… remove the belt and spin the pulley, feeling for roughness and listening for telltale noises.

“Borrow” the tools you need from your store of choice to R&R the clutch, buy the bearing along with a 12pk of beverages to enjoy after the job is done.

Look up the process on YouTube.

Can you get a bearing for $20?
Thanks. I saw the bearings on Rock Auto’s website. They had a few different ones ranging from about $5 - $25.
Can you even still get a clutch assembly? My clutch is out and I know Four Seasons sells them but some of the reviews say they do not work on the stock units.
I’m pretty sure I saw them somewhere online when I was searching, but don’t remember where. I’ll have to look again.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Clutch assembly is absolutely available. They're $105, from Rock, or $116 from amazon/free ship. Four Seasons 47656. I haven't read anywhere that they don't fit stock compressors, and it doesn't sound plausible.. but who knows? Where are those reviews found?

I've replaced a couple many years ago, it's not a difficult job but you do need to take care to set the air gap appropriately or it will not work. Setting it too loose will result in no engagement, too tight will stay engaged, and perhaps drag/damage the clutch. A set of feeler gauges will be needed. IIRC spec is .025-.035, some sources say .020-.040, the clutch hopefully comes with instructions.

That part # includes the mechanical portion of the clutch as well as the electromagnetic coil, which obviously if yours is working, you wouldn't need to replace it. The bearing and the clutch surfaces are the wear areas.

I just need the coil since some jackwagon broke the connector off. But with no idea whether the compressor is any good, I'm reluctant to lay out $100 for a clutch.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

SierraK2500

Reaction score
Clutch assembly is absolutely available. They're $105, from Rock, or $116 from amazon/free ship. Four Seasons 47656. I haven't read anywhere that they don't fit stock compressors, and it doesn't sound plausible.. but who knows? Where are those reviews found?

I've replaced a couple many years ago, it's not a difficult job but you do need to take care to set the air gap appropriately or it will not work. Setting it too loose will result in no engagement, too tight will stay engaged, and perhaps drag/damage the clutch. A set of feeler gauges will be needed. IIRC spec is .025-.035, some sources say .020-.040, the clutch hopefully comes with instructions.

That part # includes the mechanical portion of the clutch as well as the electromagnetic coil, which obviously if yours is working, you wouldn't need to replace it. The bearing and the clutch surfaces are the wear areas.

I just need the coil since some jackwagon broke the connector off. But with no idea whether the compressor is any good, I'm reluctant to lay out $100 for a clutch.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Thanks for the info.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clutch assembly is absolutely available. They're $105, from Rock, or $116 from amazon/free ship. Four Seasons 47656. I haven't read anywhere that they don't fit stock compressors, and it doesn't sound plausible.. but who knows? Where are those reviews
The reviews were on Amazon and Advanced Auto, some say it works others that it was different, one even saying it for 4 Seasons compressors only(some of the parts stores have them as their brand too like O'Reilly). Now I was looking at the 96+ units and maybe the reviewers really had no clue idk. For the price though maybe just buy a new compressor.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 94 C1500, 5.7, the AC compressor/clutch is making a metal on metal grinding noise, that sounds like a bad bearing. I took the belt off and spun the pulley by hand to confirm that was where the noise was coming from. It doesn’t matter if the air is on or off.
Why is the compressor pulley bearing noisy when the clutch is engaged?