A/C problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitestrk2

Reaction score
Hello guys im new to this site but not to the forum world. Got a question for you guys.
I have a 97 Tahoe that I just recently bought and the ac does not work. I bought a recharge kit for it and it only took a little bit but I noticed that the compressor clutch was not ingaging. I read a few forums and seen that guys had the same problem and they said to pull the pressure switch plug on the condensor and take a wire and jump the 2 leads on the plug and see if the clutch ingages which it did. So I figured the switch was bad and went and bought a new one and replaced it. But the clutch still does not ingage. So I figured I would check the freon again and the gauge on it should it was low but when you would pull the trigger to fill it, it would read in the full area but the more I would put in it the gauge would work its self down to the empty area on the gauge. So what do you guys think the problem is. Do you think the gauge I have is bad. The bottle of freon is prolly 4 years old but the gauge is new.
Now will the clutch only ingage when there is enough freon in the system or should it ingage no matter what?

Thanks for any input guys.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
If you jump the low pressure switch which should be on the accumalator (dryer) with a paper clip, the compressor should kick on regardless of freon level, don't do that for long unless you know there is freon in it though. If it don't kick on, check and see if your plug on the compressor has power. The comp will not kick on with no freon in it unless you jump it. Hopes this helps some, let me know if you figure it out or not.