98 door latch won't open from outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JL_Bryan

Reaction score
I picked up my dad's old 98 work truck to let my teenager drive. Interior door handle was broken, not functional, exterior was functional but broken. The idea was to fix both.
I replaced the exterior handle. I fought with it so much that it appears I bent the open rod so that when I lifted the handle, the part that sticks through the little hole in the door latch would hit something, preventing me from fully raising the door handle. So I THINK I bent that back the way it goes. When I put it all back together, here is what I have:
Door opens from inside. I can lock it from the inside, and it keeps me from opening with the inside handle as it should. But when it is unlocked from the inside, I can't open from the outside. The lock itself should be good, because when I lock from the inside, I can unlock with the key, then open with inside handle, I just can't open with outside handle. I can pull the metal door plate back enough to watch the open rod and latch when I lift the exterior handle, and I can see it move, and it appears to be fully traveling.
Not sure what I've done wrong. I did move/drop the latch itself a lot when it was lose, and at one point I accidentally hit the part of the latch that aligns with the striker and "rolled" it out of place, but I was able to reset that.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if it's unlocked the outside handle doesn't open door? Or does it matter where the door is unlocked from. In which case the rod you damaged is still not providing correct action. Try to be more patient, we've all been there .

JL_Bryan

Reaction score
I was able to get it. The mechanism that the open rod actuates was moving fully from the inside, but only about halfway when opening from the outside. Looks like when I "fixed" the rod initially, I put too much of a bend in it and that made it too short to fully extend the mechanism on the latch.
Thanks for the reply