97 vortec swap options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kleeb

Reaction score
hey all, sorry if this were posted before, im real green to this place. just picked up the cleanest 97 tahoe ive ever seen, only drawback is the motor is locked up. now i want this truck on the road soon and easily, minimal fuss is prefered. what are my options motor wise? would a tbi motor upset the PCM? could i swap spider injection intake to a tbi motor and that would be good? help me out here folks! if this was discussed previously send me in the right direction, if not, lets discuss! thanks in advance yall

heres some pics of the old girl
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can use the TBI short block, but need to ad the crank sensor and timing cover off a vortec. I'd just get another vortec 350. Prolly be giving up a couple horses with no roller cam, and potentially lower compression. They are out there, just need to be patient. I bought a parts truck with 70720 miles, 5.7 and NV4500 4wd for $1000 and another NV4500. Motor is for my Yukon...

kleeb

Reaction score
You can use the TBI short block, but need to ad the crank sensor and timing cover off a vortec. I'd just get another vortec 350. Prolly be giving up a couple horses with no roller cam, and potentially lower compression. They are out there, just need to be patient. I bought a parts truck with 70720 miles, 5.7 and NV4500 4wd for $1000 and another NV4500. Motor is for my Yukon...
thanks for the quick reply pal! ill keep an eye out for another vortec motor, does seem to be the simplest and cheapest. make some posts on local groups and hit up junk yards, excited to get her back on the road!