97 K1500 350 Vortec crank but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Hi Y’all
Long time member but haven’t been around alot in the past few years.
About 5-ish years ago I parked my truck and since I’ve started it maybe 3-4 times over the years, no issues. But the last time it did start it was a bit cranky and smoked alot more than normal (light gray smoke), I’m assuming because the gas was a bit old, but once started it ran like normal. (I’ve drained out the old gas and put in new now.)
Fast forward to today, now it won’t start, it cranks (a bit sluggish tho, guessing it’s the battery?) but won’t start, doesn’t even try.
Since it’s been awhile since I drove the truck I can’t remember if you can here the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on or not, but I can’t here mine and it feels wrong, like I should hear it?

I’ve checked the fuel pump relay, power to the relay and power to the fuel pump and it’s all there.
So can I assume it’s the fuel pump and I now have to either remove the bed or cut a hole in the bed to get to the pump/sending unit?
Anything else I should check before doing so?

I’m not a mechanic so while I have a big interest I don’t know much…

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta love a lady wrencher, especially one in Sweden. My visuals are just fantastic.

You don't have to remove the bed, you can tilt the bed up on one side also. Replace fuel filter when you swap pumps. And with that much sitting, I'd take a peek inside the tank itself, especially the top 1/2, to make sure it's in good shape (if not using a scope, tie a string to anything you are using in there like a light source and mirror)

Good luck!!