96' Cheyenne build with my son.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctbhess

Reaction score
My son and I started on his truck that was given to him by his grandfather a couple of years ago. It was tired with a 4.3 Vortec. Son wanted a little more hp from it so we
decided to pull the engine and freshen up the top end along with a new comp cam, springs, lifters, and valves. Added headers and a cold air intake. Ran a lot better.
We fallowed that up with new brakes, shocks, motor mounts, upper and lower bushings and ball joints. The typical old truck needs. Including interior carpet, stereo etc.

Now he is wanting more and has saved for two years to buy a 383 from BluePrint.

That's where we are today.

Few pics from the start.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ctbhess

Reaction score
We first considered the LS swap, but ended up with the 383 for it's simplicity and the point that we could use lot's of the parts off the 4.3 that were in either good shape or new.
This was a good day for him to see what his money had bought :)

ctbhess

Reaction score
My first challenge with the front accessories from the 4.3 was the A/C and power steering bracket. It would not clear the taller valve cover and was hitting the thermostat housing. Since we were not going back with A/C I shaved the back corner to clear valve cover and cut the back mount off to give better clearance around the thermostat. Also changed the thermostat housing to one I could rotate for better hose placement.

Final mock up to make sure it all lines up. Looks a little funny, but was cheaper then all the other options to mount what we had.

ctbhess

Reaction score
This is sounding very familiar, my son and I are building him a truck right now. We just got the rotating assembly back from being balanced, for his 383.

Everything is looking great, can’t wait to hear it running.
I am hoping to drop it in next week and attempt to start it.. I will post if successful :) lol

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am hoping to drop it in next week and attempt to start it.. I will post if successful :) lol
I love the father and son projects also! Its great to watch these as I myself have 5 sons and on the third project (two to go). Tried to do father daughter projects with my two daughters, but the girls didn't get into it.