Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello, first off I am not a car guy so please brake things down (real knee slapper, that one). Okay so I have a 1995 c1500 SBC 350 2WD single cab short bed. I have ordered a rough country 4inch lift kit. Id like to upgrade my front brakes/caliper while I’m at it. I’d like to know what size brake rotor and caliber would I be able to run(big brake kit)? I plan on running 20inch rims with 33’s -12 offset. Also current set up is 5x5.
Brake parts I have also bought include NBS master cylinder and a Wilwood proportioning valve. I appreciate the help

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1995 c1500 SBC 350 2WD single cab short bed.

Id like to upgrade my front brakes/caliper... ...I’d like to know what size brake rotor and caliber would I be able to run(big brake kit)?
I don't know of any larger-diameter rotors beyond what GM offered on the 8-lug trucks, although the aftermarket may have something for the 5-lugs. You could check catalogs for the usual suspects--Wilwood, SSBC, and so forth. Try to avoid companies selling counterfeit crap direct from Communist China.

Keep in mind that the larger problem with the typical 1500 brakes is in the REAR, not the front. You almost certainly have the JB5 brake code. JB5 254mm leading/trailing shoe drum rear brakes are a fookin' tragedy.

Do you have the usual 1500 "Ten bolt" axle? Given the larger tires, you're gonna need a bigger/stronger rear axle, in a steeper gear ratio. The C2500 6-lug 9.5" rear axle seems to be less-common than the K2500 6-lug unit; and either you need different axle shafts, or you need six-lug wheels. The good news here is that the C2500 axle should have the much-superior 11.x Duo-servo rear drums.

There is a small chance you have JB6 brakes, and the 14-bolt semi-float axle already. If so, all you need is deeper gears.

Without a strong axle, bigger brakes, and steeper gears, you're gonna really regret bigass tires.

For fukk sakes, DO NOT spend money for a craptastic flat-bracket "rear disc conversion" kit.

Brake parts I have also bought include NBS master cylinder
Make damned sure you are not using low-drag calipers uup front (or in the rear) when this project is complete. In addition, the larger-diameter master cylinder bore is going to increase the pedal effort, perhaps dramatically if the power booster fails.

and a Wilwood proportioning valve.
So you're discarding the ABS unit? Probably not a great idea.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the rear I got myself a quick Preformance 9inch Ford rear diff with 411 gearing and their big brake rear kit (swapping from the drum to a caliper).

And gotcha for the above information also know that lead to another question is there is a brake better brake caliper I can put on the truck? Maybe like a 4 piston caliper? Or should I just buy new oem brake rotor and caliper?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brake code do you have? JB5 would be most-likely, JB6 is a slim possibility. JB5 and JB6 are the same up front, and the same master/booster, but the "5" has the horrible rear brakes, and the "6" has very reasonable rear brakes. Both use Low-Drag calipers up front, therefore both need a Quick Take-Up (3-chamber) master cylinder.

With stock-size tires, JB6 in proper working condition is all you'd need. But bigass tires destroy braking power just like they destroy acceleration. Thus the need for more stopping power and deeper gear ratio.

Several folks have use JB/JD7 front calipers on the 5/6 rotors. The "7" calipers have a bigger piston than the "5/6" calipers. Apparently a good upgrade that I have not experimented with. It might require some minor grinding on the brake pad backing plates to clear the rotor hub. Also allows the removal of the QTU master cylinder, since the "7" calipers are not Low Drag. Then they install larger-diameter rear wheel cylinders to match.

I don't know about using JB/JD8 calipers. And JF9 calipers won't fit--totally different design.

But again--the bigger problem with JB5 brakes is in the rear, not the front. Start there unless you've already got the 11.x drums. If you have the 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe drums, they've GOT to GO.

Reaction score
What brake code do you have? JB5 would be most-likely, JB6 is a slim possibility. JB5 and JB6 are the same up front, and the same master/booster, but the "5" has the horrible rear brakes, and the "6" has very reasonable rear brakes. Both use Low-Drag calipers up front, therefore both need a Quick Take-Up (3-chamber) master cylinder.

With stock-size tires, JB6 in proper working condition is all you'd need. But bigass tires destroy braking power just like they destroy acceleration. Thus the need for more stopping power and deeper gear ratio.

Several folks have use JB/JD7 front calipers on the 5/6 rotors. The "7" calipers have a bigger piston than the "5/6" calipers. Apparently a good upgrade that I have not experimented with. It might require some minor grinding on the brake pad backing plates to clear the rotor hub. Also allows the removal of the QTU master cylinder, since the "7" calipers are not Low Drag. Then they install larger-diameter rear wheel cylinders to match.

I don't know about using JB/JD8 calipers. And JF9 calipers won't fit--totally different design.

But again--the bigger problem with JB5 brakes is in the rear, not the front. Start there unless you've already got the 11.x drums. If you have the 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe drums, they've GOT to GO.
Appreciate it