94' 5.7 Noises Under Valve Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2s9je0af

Reaction score
Just did intake manifold gaskets to try to resolve rough idle. Initially forgot to tighten down EGR... Now the engine seems smoother than ever, but on my final go around I pulled out the stethoscope. When I put the scope on the valve cover by cylinder 2 I hear a loud knocking sound like something banging into the valve cover. No noise when I listen to the oil pan and block from underneath (not rod knock?).

The lifter valley was full of ash/carbon/sludge that I vacuumed out during the intake manifold job. Do I perhaps have a sludged up lifter/pushrod that like marvel mystery oil or techron will fix? Should I try to adjust valve lash? Its not my daily driver but I don't have the energy to pull an engine atm.

Last edited:

2s9je0af

Reaction score
175K HARD miles. In addition to the sludge, the previous owner didn't scrape original intake gasket off all the way and left bits of the heater core metal fitting in the intake water jacket (was a mess).