93 K1500 Speedo/odometer intermittently function

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy

Reaction score
Look at the diagnostic (ALDL) connector under your dash. Lay down on the floor mat and look behind the dashboard at the metal tab it's connected to. Behind the connector you'll see that single black ground wire attached to the same metal tab with a screw.

Richard
Found it remove screw, cleaned everything up and put a new screw in and nothing no changes
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
There’s a video of what it’s doing

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t responded before I can’t find a circuit 824 in the manual

I just scanned the '93 Electrical Service Manual, and came up with 3
instances of '824'.

* In the first attached is a detail where the signal originates at the VSS.

* In the second attached is where it arrives at the instrument cluster.

This should hopefully get you in the ballpark.

Let us know what you discover.

Attachments

• '93 circuit 824 VSS detail (arrows) - '93 ST-375-93-EDD_1993_Chevrolet_CK_Wiring_Manual.jpg
    '93 circuit 824 VSS detail (arrows) - '93 ST-375-93-EDD_1993_Chevrolet_CK_Wiring_Manual.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 5
  • '93 Circuit 824 detail at instrument cluster inputs (circled) - '93 ST-375-93-EDD_1993_Chevrol...jpg
    '93 Circuit 824 detail at instrument cluster inputs (circled) - '93 ST-375-93-EDD_1993_Chevrol...jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 5

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just scanned the '93 Electrical Service Manual, and came up with 3
instances of '824'.

* In the first attached is a detail where the signal originates at the VSS.

* In the second attached is where it arrives at the instrument cluster.

This should hopefully get you in the ballpark.

Let us know what you discover.
If im not mistaken it is what the odometer gear / motor recognizes in order to make the cluster work. Should be a ground, 39 ignition, & 824 go to it. Almost sounds like problem is in that connection. Or that drive motor mite be going out. I know he said the odometer stops turning . Idk if speedo is turning during that time tho

alaraine

Reaction score
My 93 with a 5spd did the exact same thing for about a year and then nothing not even a twitch for the last two years. But, mainly I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted on this thread because now I have two new leads for possible fail points.

Muddy

Reaction score
My 93 with a 5spd did the exact same thing for about a year and then nothing not even a twitch for the last two years. But, mainly I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted on this thread because now I have two new leads for possible fail points.
If you find anything please feel free to share

Muddy

Reaction score
both go and stop at about the same time as far as i can tell. i do have cruise control and it also stops functioning with everything else
If im not mistaken it is what the odometer gear / motor recognizes in order to make the cluster work. Should be a ground, 39 ignition, & 824 go to it. Almost sounds like problem is in that connection. Or that drive motor mite be going out. I know he said the odometer stops turning . Idk if speedo is turning during that time