92 sierra th350 speedometer reading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Constantine

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local car lots are doing the Ole "cash for clunkers" trade in event.
......I bought one of the clunkers......
......Nor for a daily driver.......
It's a 92 sierra ext cab, has something of the chromed out 5.7L flavor and a th350 transmission.
Issue for me is no speedometer reading.
Only had it a few days.... not sure if this is a common swap for tbi trucks.... or if any came with a th350.... just want to know where to start here.....
Thanks!

Constantine

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not against going back to 700r4.
I am also not against digging Caddillacs 700r4 out of the dumpster!
I've been looking for a core trans online.... no luck so far.
Everything I find seems to be 95+
I'm not really knowledgeable on transmission differences on the earlier models.
Still need to research what came with what.
However, I didn't feel like a th350 was correct.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I'm not against going back to 700r4.
I am also not against digging Caddillacs 700r4 out of the dumpster!
I've been looking for a core trans online.... no luck so far.
Everything I find seems to be 95+
I'm not really knowledgeable on transmission differences on the earlier models.
Still need to research what came with what.
However, I didn't feel like a th350 was correct.
The 88-92 GMT400 light trucks (1500, and 2500"LD") came with the 700R4/4L60 (non-"E".) If you can score one of those you'd be set.

To be 100% historically accurate, a very, very, very few of them came with the 3L80 (TH400) but you'd know it the moment you looked and saw lack of OD selection on the gear indicator, and the kidney-shaped pan underneath.

Richard

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It shouldn’t be an issue to connect the only style TH-350 speedo to the factory gauge as I’m 99% sure the 700 trans used the same setup.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just tossed a 700r4 in the dumpster, I gotta quit doing that.
Those cores are selling for over $300.00 here and in most places - why would just throw out the transmission?

Was it so badly damaged (case cracked, shaft broken in half, parts missing or grenaded) that it couldn't have been rebuilt?

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those cores are selling for over $300.00 here and in most places - why would just throw out the transmission?

Was it so badly damaged (case cracked, shaft broken in half, parts missing or grenaded) that it couldn't have been rebuilt?
It lost reverse. I think it was time that got me, like when I told my kid to grab the tube of liquid nails in the garage, not realizing it was ten years old. It use to be the trans shop didn't want them because they were everywhere, I will check with them next time before sending it to the landfill.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1992 should have had the 40K pulse VSS reluctor. You can get them from multiple sources that thread on to the speedo cable drive on the TH350.