91 Silverado 350 TBI Knock problem! Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am having some odd problems with my silverado. It's developed a weird knocking noise and I just can't figure out what exactly is wrong.

Hopefully some of you guys have had experience with something like this. Here are 2 videos. I commentate the videos and update you on exactly what's going on.
Thanks guys!
-Mitch

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/DiStUrBeDSmurf2/?action=view&current=001-1.mp4
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/DiStUrBeDSmurf2/?action=view&current=002-1.mp4

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Couldn't really hear it in the video, but it could be detonation because the timing is advanced too much or like you mentioned preignition off a carbon deposit on top of the piston. Also could be piston slap but that's usually just at cold startup. Good luck man

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I could not get a smooth enough video to hear anything... Sorry I hope you get it figured out

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounded like detonation from what i could tell. What i'd do is hook up a timing light. disconnect your timing set connector and check the base timing and make sure its 0 TDC.

Now a problem i went through with mine just recently is i had the same knock/clatter but mine only did it highway speed cruising and it was constant. And the thing is some of the older engines dont really like the 10% ethanol. And the only 2 ways i've found to stop it is run high octane and the other way i just recently tried is i set my base timing to 5 BTDC and it still runs just as great but i dont have the clatter cruising anymore.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
To check to see if its knocking from detonation you could try running a little bit of 91 or 93 octane gas (whatever they sell in your area) once your tank is almost empty. If it doesn't knock anymore with higher octane gas its probably detonation and you should get your ignition timing checked out

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd still recommend checking your base timing since its free to do and all you have to do is disconnect 1 wire and check it with a timing light. And even you your timing is off loosen s 9/16 bolt turn dist, re-tighten bolt then your done

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I took it to this ol chevy guy today that has a shop out near my town and he said that he thinks that I have a bad valve and that a wrist pin is the source of ths knocking noise.

My step father who has been working on cars for 25+ years doesn't really agree with this diagnosis and is going to check it out soon.

Basically I think either way I am looking at an engine rebuild (which outside of the money and time I am thrilled about because I just turned 21 and have never been very far inside a motor before and I REALLY want to learn...but don't really have the right environment).

My question is if I want to really do this right by tearing it all the way down to the block what is the best value rebuild kit out there that you fellas have run across? I know summit sells the basic kits for like $150 and some decent ones up to prolly $300+ but the way I see it if I have already pulled the engine why not put in the time/effort.money to build a motor that will last me forever?

I am not looking for crazy horsepower...trust me it's very tempting to go 383 stroker while i've got it apart but with a stock 700R4 with 180k miles behind it I am not willing to take that risk. I am simply looking for a very solid, very reputable, very affordable, rebuild kit that includes everything I need to really make this thing back into the reliable ol' chevy it's meant to be.

for the record it's not once left me stranded or not started. It's just made an annoying knock...