89 k1500 5.7 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hhhhhhhhhh

Reaction score
I have an 89K1500 Tbi and did rebuild on a motor put new rings, new rod bearings new heads, new wires, new distributor cap new pretty much every sensor. And the things still will start up run. Fine and then just die out. But if I give it gas before it dies it'll stay running. I can drive to Town Runs Fine As Highway Speeds. But at idle it run for about a minute then just die any help would help? I'm at a loss.

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine size ? Transmission ? Ran ok before rebuild ? Was timing set after rebuild ? Was throttle body messed with ? Was IAC reset ? If so scanner reading on IAC counts ? Does it happen engine cold or hot ? Lots of questions yet but no history I

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Runs fine when cold and then dies when it's warmed up? Vacuum leak. The rich idle when cold covers up the poor mixture.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the ignition timing right? Does the electronic advance work?

EGR working properly? Doesn't leak at idle?

What is the fuel pressure at prime, idle, and under load?

Connect a scan tool, verify EVERY sensor, and all the computer outputs especially coolant temp, IAC, MAP, fuel trims, etc.