6.5 diesel Detroit Controversy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cameron nelms

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

looking a buy a truck to go off to linemen school and i know the hate on these trucks for not having any power at all but im not really worried about that giving im not gonna be pulling a big load all the time or anything but i was just wondering if this truck would be reliable for me it would be mostly highway/interstate miles planning to move to chattanooga tn for jack danile’s lynchburg area i’ve listed all the pictures of it and what not and all the upgrades he has done to it this would be my first diesel truck as well so not hate please just trying to figure out if it’s gonna be worth it or not thank

svrh89

Reaction score
I have heard that these motors can be "bullet proofed". I'd imagine if the truck has been maintained well and idles and shifts good than it wouldn't be an issue. probably better find/pick up if you/understand working on diesels; I personally vote gasser for daily driving however.
Although I am not an experienced diesel guy; I would say diesels are in general considered to be more expensive to maintain + you need to be concerned about your fuel gelling in winter + making sure to build a habit to warm glow plugs before a start. I think gas engines are just easier if you need a no nonsense truck. however, if you intend to learn more about running and maintaining diesel; it is probably a great first truck as its much cheaper than others.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like any other diesel, the 6.5 has its quirks. I would agree it isn't exactly the best option for someone who isn't familiar with a diesel, and especially the 6.5. I personally wouldn't be afraid of it, but I'm well versed in 6.5 quirks. If you're willing to turn a wrench on it, keep it well maintained, and respect the thing, it would be a great truck!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Like any other diesel, the 6.5 has its quirks. I would agree it isn't exactly the best option for someone who isn't familiar with a diesel, and especially the 6.5. I personally wouldn't be afraid of it, but I'm well versed in 6.5 quirks. If you're willing to turn a wrench on it, keep it well maintained, and respect the thing, it would be a great truck!
The 6.5td is absolutely a "hobbyist" engine, IMO, and has been for almost as long as it has existed. I will 100% agree with the statement it is not the best option for someone unfamiliar with diesels, and unfamiliar with the 6.5td specifically. There's a pretty good learning curve for dealing with their issues, and a high price of admission for dealing with some of them, as well.

Buy a gas truck.

Richard

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 6.5td is absolutely a "hobbyist" engine, IMO, and has been for almost as long as it has existed. I will 100% agree with the statement it is not the best option for someone unfamiliar with diesels, and unfamiliar with the 6.5td specifically. There's a pretty good learning curve for dealing with their issues, and a high price of admission for dealing with some of them, as well.

Buy a gas truck.

Richard
Then there's a neighboring farmer to me. Got a '96 k2500 with 6.5 that everyone runs. Muffler deleted, it gets BEAT every day. No respect, no maintenance. It pulls hay wagons, it goes for parts, it chases cattle thru the pasture. It's been doing this for years. How it still runs is a puzzle to me.
Or, a friend of mine has a '93 k3500 with 6.5 that has around 400k miles. It got farm abuse since 100k miles. Pulled trailer alot too. Of course it wasn't enrolled in the 6.5 maintenance program, and it still runs.
I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes there's a good one in the bunch. While I haven't had the fortune of owning one, I have seen them. If you happen to get a good one, it will be a pleasure.
I wouldn't recommend taking the chance on the 6.5 unless you're willing to deal with the usual 6.5 problems. I agree, get a gas truck. It kills me to say it, but that is reality for the situation.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're not pulling a load, why look at a diesel? If you're looking for reliable daily driver for covering lots of miles, get a cheap car. Don't saddle yourself with debt or a money pit vehicle. I'm not sure why so many young guys want diesel as a status symbol.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quoting myself below.

Full disclosure. I have 3 6.5 engines currently. One is junk (more than usual), another is in our 3500hd and the last one is a 6500 Opitmizer that is on a stand in my garage. I have a full extra set of sensors, 2 spare turbos and 2 spare PCMs.

I've had 3 engines with major but repairable mechanical damage under 125k. One was my personal truck that went from 81k to 104k before it ate a valve. Another was a meticulously maintained cream puff that had a valve failure at 79k. The last one I don't know the history on but it had a valve failure too but when I pulled the pan it didn't have sludge but there were more cracks showing than there are homies holding their pants up, it had 124k. May they rest in pieces.

I've had many electrical issues as well. Most were PMD or boost related. I also seem to go through AC Delco starters every 15-20k.

I don't trust these engines. Unfortunately I can't afford a 6bt/Allison A1000 6 speed/NP261xhd so I'm stuck building our 3500hd with the 6500 Opitmizer, billet crank pulley, fluidamper, HO water pump, Duramax fan, dual thermostats, ARP head studs, thicker head gaskets to reduce compression, Flowmaster exhaust crossover, Diamond Eye exhaust, HX40 turbo, high flow upper intake, Bosch glow plugs, real Bosch marine injectors, "feed the beast" mod on the filter assembly, Hayden HD fan clutch, Leroy oil cooler lines, air to water intercooler, tuned PCM and probably more that I'm forgetting. I already have all of the parts above.

I'm hoping to get rid of my gambling addiction every time that I turn the key and that all of these upgrades gives me a more reliable engine. I still won't trust it.

This is a quote from me when someone asked about the 6.5.
As a 6.5 owner, I would like to give you this advice. Get a rabid squirrel to chew on your left nipple. Have an opossum rip your right nipple off. Get into a fist fight with a kangaroo on meth. Piss off a rattlesnake with an under bite to the point that it knaws on your manhood to the point that if you ever pee through your swollen member again that it works like the water sprayer in the vegetable aisle. Then get r@ped repeatedly by an entire family of silverback gorillas with sexually transmitted diseases. Finally go to sleep naked in a prison without lube while handcuffed.

Owning a 6.5 is worse than that.

My ass still hurts.

Quoting myself again...
The 6.5 was based on the 6.2 which didn't have enough power to do much of anything but The fine folks at General Moturds decided to "compete" with the 5.9 Cummins powered Dog and the upcoming 7.3 Powersmoke. To do that they slapped an inefficient turbo on a larger displacement engine with crappy metallurgy. Then they used a cooling system that wasn't up to the task. They also rushed the electronic injection pump using, in my opinion, an underdeveloped control module (PMD). There are notorious for PMS failures (was that really a typo?...), cracked blocks in the main webs, cracked heads, overheating cylinder #8, injection pump issues, failed oil pressure sensors, complete cooling system failures, harmonic balancer failures resulting in sheared crankshafts, a crappy rubber balancer pulley, the wastegate system consists of failed vacuum pump, cracked plastic lines and solenoid failures, the turbos used were really undersized for their application resulting in high drive pressures causing excessive heat leading to cracking in the heads and valve failures plus additional heat to the already overtaxed cooling system. Oh, I almost forgot that oil cooler lines like to fail in dramatic fashion. Don't believe me? Just Google 6.5 and everything that I mentioned.

I personally have owned 4 6.5 powered trucks. One I immediately sold. Two came to me with low mileage, 79k and 124k and both of those had valve failures. The 79k one had meticulous records including the additive and fuel mileage of every tank of fuel since new, every light bulb, oil change and truck wash. The fourth truck was my own personal truck and the #3 exhaust valve failed taking out the head, piston and possibly the rod as well. May it rest in pieces at 104k...

I'm stupid enough to put a 6.5 back in my truck because I don't have Cummins swapping cash and I had already bought new hoses, glow plugs, injectors, upgraded turbo, mandrel bent crossover and more prior to the engine failure. Not too long ago I came across an Optimizer for a reasonable price. Do I trust it? NOPE! I've addressed every single issue mentioned above but prior to it getting back on the road I will renew my AAA membership.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a 6.5 owner, I would like to give you this advice. Get a rabid squirrel to chew on your left nipple. Have an opossum rip your right nipple off. Get into a fist fight with a kangaroo on meth. Piss off a rattlesnake with an under bite to the point that it knaws on your manhood to the point that if you ever pee through your swollen member again that it works like the water sprayer in the vegetable aisle. Then get r@ped repeatedly by an entire family of silverback gorillas with sexually transmitted diseases. Finally go to sleep naked in a prison without lube while handcuffed.

Owning a 6.5 is worse than that.
Tell us what you really think :anitoof: