5.7 vortec upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kblack24

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade since my engine recently threw a rod. I have a 97 Chevy Silverado 3500 crew cab with a 5.7( not sure what transmission is in the truck).

Currently thinking about putting a fully dressed blue print engine(400) in it or the small block 454. This will be a daily driver truck. Will i need to change the ECM for either engine and if so what type of cost and headache am i looking at for this?

or

Thanks,

KB

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Simple answer is yes, kinda. There will definitely need to be tuning involved with an engine swap.

As for the transmission, crawl up under and look at the pan, and Google GM transmission identification. You will figure it out.
Most likely a 4L60E or 4L80.

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
454 small block? That's pretty cool, I didn't know you could get those. So I guess the external dimensions and attachment points are the same as a SBC and it just has different internals?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
454 small block? That's pretty cool, I didn't know you could get those. So I guess the external dimensions and attachment points are the same as a SBC and it just has different internals?
Yes it’s normally an aftermarket block that bolts up like a smallblock and has the same external dimensions while having a larger stroke and bore to get the 454 cubes.