5.7 tbi oil pressure factory oil pressure specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You have gotten all worked up over being asked to supply truck info. You just said two different 5.7's, TBI and Vortec. I am not sure but there could be a difference in the oil pressure requirements for the two different engines. Instead of us having to dig for info for two engines, giving your truck info up front can save US time when looking for YOU.

The member's here are justifying asking for info. Some of us have very dry humor and some of the members just can't handle that dry humor. Nothing to get worked up about but you sure did get worked up. Take a chill pill, get off the high horse and settle down. You could and can avoid ALL OF THIS, by just putting info in your signature, that you still have not done. You have been given good info, along with the dry humor.

You are in a GMT400 forum. Not in a Ford forum. You own a GMT400 truck. You do not own a GMT900 truck, with cylinder deactivation. I own a GMT800 Tahoe and my girl owns the 1990 K2500. I like all GM's. Some just have more problems than others. You seem to have some problems that others do not have. If you took your truck to any reputable shop, after they get your personal info the very next thing they get is all the truck info and that helps the tech get the CORRECT info that you ask for about YOUR truck.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
…and I would just add that it’s just a
“help us help you” request. You’re likely to get more help when someone doesn’t have to figure out whether a TBI or a Vortec share the same oil pressure. Nothing for nothing, a quick 5 second Google search confirmed oil pressure multiple times.
And I'm only on here, when I need to know something.
So if that’s the case, it would’ve been quicker to just Google a question.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are responding to me. But I did not complain at all about having to give my vehicles information. All I said, was I assumed that all 5.7s would have the same oil pressure, but I could be wrong.. If you, and anyone else take that as a complaint. Then I think you need to go back and reread what I said.. All I'm trying to do, is find out what my oil pressure should be for future references. The owners manual, the Haynes Manual I got from my friend who passed away that owned this truck. Has no information about the oil pressure readings for the truck. There is only two 5.7 options on the gmt400 series trucks. Exactly what this forum is dedicated too. The TBI model and the vortec.. So if you all wanna get smart ass. Make sure you understand exactly what what I said, and HOW I SAID IT. I bet you all are chevy dick riders. When is the last time chevy made a overall reliable truck any way? 1999? Ford is wooping their ass with the coyote 5.0. V8s. Ever since they went to cylinder deactivation. GM has went down hill. I guess that's why alot of you still have these gmt400s. I don't have time to deal with unnecessary disrespect from a bunch of people who literally have nothing better to do than complain about what someone else didn't do on a post.. I got a life. And I'm only on here, when I need to know something. Or too help someone. I guess you all don't have a life..
Jeez man, who pissed in your cornflakes. Year make and model was too complex a question. The only one riding a dick here is you and plenty of that for ya on the street corner in Durham.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the service manual in front of me now. Minimum oil pressure specs for all engines.

6.5L
10 psi @ hot idle
40-45 psi @ 2,000 rpm

7.4L
10 psi @ 600 rpm
25 psi @ 2,000 rpm

Add to that the 4.3, 5.0L and 5.7L specs I previously mentioned.
6 psi @ 1,000 rpm
18 psi @ 2,000 rpm
24 psi @ 4,000 rpm

Should help prevent future confusion, debate and wrong information. Straight out of the 1997 Express van FSM. Same engine options the GMT400s had.

The Gen III LS engines have the same specification as the small block based engines. I will add that one since it is such a common swap. GenIV has a higher oil pressure spec.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed or maybe it’s something I never noticed before, but this evening I started my 1996 5.7 K1500, and at idle in gear, this was oil gauge reading:
You must be registered for see images attach

Then it seemed to stay there for first 10 minutes of drive and then at a red light it dropped to 40 psi per gauge.
Parked truck after 20 minute drive and at idle in gear had this:

So I’m guessing at cold start, psi is higher till truck warms up. Unless my gauge is screwy. Yup, I needed gas too.

unruhjonny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just came across this thread, and think I might be able to help...
Ok, so I'm trying to find out what is the factory specs for oil pressure on a 1995 silverado 350 5.7 tbi. I run at 40 psi holding a constant speed. Even when accelerating, I run at around 40 to 45psi. At idle in gear I run a around 9 to 10. In park, a solid 10.
These oil pressure senders and gauges are in part why GM quietly stopped offering oil pressure gauges on just about anything other than the Corvette and Camaro;
There are a few exceptions, but they are in the minority - but in the 1980's and earlier, just about everything could have an oil pressure gauge - this came to a hard stop in the 2000's.

My understanding is that somewhere between the location that GM chose to use and to the quality of the sender(s), all GM vehicles from around this time would start to show low oil pressure when in fact everything was fine.

If you are worried about it at all, an aftermarket gauge reading from a better location will serve you well for knowing your engine's health (via oil pressure).
I don't know if this platform suffers from a bad check valve, but one of my other GM vehicles from this period needs to have the in-block oil check valve replaced after a time - an item that is often missed - and if missed, pressure will read low and cause owner concern.
Barring anything on your engine (ect) which could be causing a leak by siphoning off pressure, I wouldn't worry about it.

I chalk up these moving oil pressure readings right up there with the parking brake light which randomly turns on and off...

adamsusa

Reaction score
I noticed or maybe it’s something I never noticed before, but this evening I started my 1996 5.7 K1500, and at idle in gear, this was oil gauge reading:

Then it seemed to stay there for first 10 minutes of drive and then at a red light it dropped to 40 psi per gauge.
Parked truck after 20 minute drive and at idle in gear had this:

So I’m guessing at cold start, psi is higher till truck warms up. Unless my gauge is screwy. Yup, I needed gas too.

Exactly how my 1999 K1500 behaves too!