4wl not engaging/ slipping into neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubba mtz

Reaction score
My 97 k1500 with a manual transmission (floorshift) 4x4 has stopped working/engaging. I put the truck in 4 low it seems to work but when it get more in lose rock it starts to stall then the shifter throws the transfer case back into neutral... any tips or anything to help me solve this problem

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Check your differential actuator, you can bypass it by putting a socket in there to force it to engage all the way. See thread below. This should be for diagnostics only unless your using it as an off-road rig primarily. You should just replace the actuator with an upgraded electronic one for any street driven, light off-road truck.

Bubba mtz

Reaction score
Check your differential actuator, you can bypass it by putting a socket in there to force it to engage all the way. See thread below. This should be for diagnostics only unless your using it as an off-road rig primarily. You should just replace the actuator with an upgraded electronic one for any street driven, light off-road truck.

Thanks for your feedback I will definitely get it a try for diagnosis

Bubba mtz

Reaction score
IS this an actuator problem? Sounds to me like it's the typical, common plastic-pads-on-the-shift-forks problem.

When my truck was popping out of 4WD, I had the transfer case rebuilt, and the problem was "gone".
Honestly I'm to to sure what the issue is but if you can explain the plastic pads on the shift forks I'd appreciate it

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Similar to a manual transmission that pops out of gear.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you read the answer, do you know how to drive a manual transmission? Ever have an old truck with old transmission that won't stay in gear sometimes? As I said " it's similar to that" whether is worn shift forks or weak spring ball detent features, your t- case has worn out parts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shift-forks on the transfer case have plastic inserts that reduce metal-to-metal contact and wear.

I'm told that the lube inside the transfer case goes beyond it's service life, gets other wear particles in it, and the grit abrades the plastic pads. When the pads get worn, the transfer case shift forks don't move the shifting parts fully into place, so when they're loaded...they shift back into neutral on their own.

So you overhaul the transfer case, replace the pads and whatever else is worn, and then don't go thirty+ years on the same lube. Change it now and then.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I recommended the cheap and easy Diff actuator socket because that somehow worked on my Plow Truck with the same TCase problem. It would pop into neutral under a heavy load like he was doing in the sand. IDK if its something with having the front diff start binding because it wasnt fully seated or what but its been years now with that socket in the diff and it hasnt popped out again.