4l803, speed sensor code, trans issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

64rcs

Reaction score
'94 2500 suburban w/ 350 & 4l80e. Pulled the truck in to change the oil, and when I backed it out, the abs light was on. Figured nbd, but the burb wont shift out of 1st gear until higher rpm and when it does, its a very positive shift. Speedo also does not work. Did the paperclip thing and got a speed sensor code. Put a new sensor in at the tcase and still same issues. Replaced the trans sensor(front sensor on drivers side of transmission) and replace the drac module with a known "good" one off ebay, still no luck. Unbolted the harness off the bellhousing and no rubbed areas seen and crawled under the dash looking for any obvious wiring issues. What am I missing? The code numbers I'm getting is are 44 and 24. These aren't that complicated. I will add that up until this point, I drove this old suburban a lot. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'94 2500 suburban w/ 350 & 4l80e. Pulled the truck in to change the oil, and when I backed it out, the abs light was on. Figured nbd, but the burb wont shift out of 1st gear until higher rpm and when it does, its a very positive shift. Speedo also does not work. Did the paperclip thing and got a speed sensor code. Put a new sensor in at the tcase and still same issues. Replaced the trans sensor(front sensor on drivers side of transmission) and replace the drac module with a known "good" one off ebay, still no luck. Unbolted the harness off the bellhousing and no rubbed areas seen and crawled under the dash looking for any obvious wiring issues. What am I missing? The code number I'm getting is a 44. These aren't that complicated. I will add that up until this point, I drove this old suburban a lot. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Where did you get your speed sensors and what brand are they?

44 = lean condition.

64rcs

Reaction score
My bad, I have a code 24 and a code 44. Don't care about the o2 sensor. I got the speed sensor from napa. $140 or so. I will also say the this all happened when I replaced the dash gauge lights fuse that was burnt out. When I turn the head lights on, the dash lights worked for a minute then quit again. The fuse does have power to both sides. Related?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bad, I have a code 24 and a code 44. Don't care about the o2 sensor. I got the speed sensor from napa. $140 or so.
You replaced just the t case sensor or the one in the transmission as well? Your initial post indicates both were replaced...im not sure if O2 codes will impact/effect the trans but shouldnt put you into limp mode or freeze upshifts like a bad/interrupted VSS signal will.

Also please quote my post if/when you respond; i dont get notifications when someone posts in the threads i post in.

64rcs

Reaction score
You replaced just the t case sensor or the one in the transmission as well? Your initial post indicates both were replaced...im not sure if O2 codes will impact/effect the trans but shouldnt put you into limp mode or freeze upshifts like a bad/interrupted VSS signal will.

Also please quote my post if/when you respond; i dont get notifications when someone posts in the threads i post in.

I replaced the front sensor on the 80e and the sensor at the rear of the tcase.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the front sensor on the 80e and the sensor at the rear of the tcase.
You can try testing the vehicle speed sensor with a multimeter to see if it's generating any voltage when you spin the output shaft. You should see some voltage showing on the meter and it should vary based on rate of spin.

Someone else can speak to how to test/diagnose/rule in or out the drac as bad; I'm not familar with them. If the vss is found to be working per your multimeter, you'll them need to confirm that voltage signal is getting to the pcm. Plus check for loose/missing grounds/ground straps, etc.