377 mag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw an ad for a used Mercuiser 377 Mag. It appears to be a Vortec block with a 383 stroker crank based on what I have read. It has the rare Vortec marine fuel injection intake.

Totally clueless about boat motors. Can I just yank the exhaust manifolds, engine accessories, etc. and drop it in my 96 Tahoe? Will the crank accept a flex plate?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw an ad for a used Mercuiser 377 Mag. It appears to be a Vortec block with a 383 stroker crank based on what I have read. It has the rare Vortec marine fuel injection intake.

Totally clueless about boat motors. Can I just yank the exhaust manifolds, engine accessories, etc. and drop it in my 96 Tahoe? Will the crank accept a flex plate?
The marine blocks are often cracked from freezing. At that point it is a clean, stock L31 block clearenced for the rotating assembly away from being a good engine. Other than that if it has the L31 style distributor it will have a 4x crank sensor on it. Pull the manifolds and accessories and it will bolt right in.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I can get it for the right price, I'd be happy with just the crank and the intake manifold. Anything else would be a bonus that I could maybe re-sell.

He's got a video of it running and it sounds fine.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine has 612 hours on it. Did some searching and they say 1 hour is roughly 100 miles in a vehicle. So that would be like a truck engine 61,200 miles on it.

So, question to y'all ... would you pay $2500 for a 377 with a Vortec marine intake? I could swap a 6.0 for $2500, but I really wanted to keep this one pretty close to original. It's way cheaper than the BPE 383 I have been thinking of.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes it is, you simply have to justify the cost of a used motor compared to new :deal:

You may not get the performance either.

Right, it's probably about halfway between just a rebuild and the BPE383. Which is fine.

I'm going to see the man about the horse on Thursday and I'm bringing my compression tester. If it's bad I still may end up buying it after some haggling.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is enticing to rock that marine setup but...

Yeah, I know. I might be overvaluing it because of the marine intake. MSRP on this engine was $16K! Back in 2008 or whenever.

The NEW 6.2L (377ci) engine includes the engine block, 6.2L Vortec cylinder heads, center-bolt valve covers, a 5-quart marine oil pan, circulation pump, harmonic balancer, roller cam & roller lifters, forged steel crankshaft, heavy-duty rods, forged aluminum pistons, corrosion-resistant black urethane paint, spark plugs, and all internal parts.

Also included:

• 4-bolt main caps
  • Rated at 340 hp @ 4500 rpm / 425 lb. ft. @ 3600 rpm (actual power levels may vary, depending on OEM calibration and application)
  • Compression Ratio: 9.1:1
  • Recommended Fuel: 87 octane
  • One-piece rear main seal (also known as a full rear main seal).
  • Provision for the mechanical or electric fuel pump.
  • Direct replacement for 1996-2016, 5.0L & 5.7L MerCruiser carbureted applications; or MerCruiser 6.2L MPI applications from 2002-2009.
  • This 6.2L engine is NOT a replacement for the MerCruiser 350 MAG MPI or Volvo Penta 5.7L MPI engines unless the ECM is properly recalibrated.
  • MerCruiser #8M0182232