3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bushings weren’t even bad. Cracked on the outside but jigs barely. Why oh why did I even bother. I could’ve been done with both sides if I was doing the springs and spindles.

Fought like hell to get these out until I devised….
You must be registered for see images attach

…this sketchy system. It really has its charm.

Here are the bushings that don’t suck. Saved my outer/inner sleeves on the upper arm. Still fighting the lowers.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lowers are a PITA. @Caman96 or @Orpedcrow did you replace yours? I ruined one of the sleeves by having my socket off center. I have a set on the way that I can rob the sleeves from though.
I didn’t replace my lower control arm bushings with at the time about 68k on truck. They still seem good with 86k. From what I hear they tend to outlast the uppers.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced them on one arm, pushed out the other arm to find that the arm had different sized bushings in it so I replaced all the arms with DJM.

I’ve done a handful of control arm bushings on several cars though. You’re right, they are a pain. Sorry you’re having a hard time. :confused:

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t replace my lower control arm bushings with at the time about 68k on truck. They still seem good with 86k. From what I hear they tend to outlast the uppers.
Oh yeah, I forgot yours is relatively low miles.
I replaced them on one arm, pushed out the other arm to find that the arm had different sized bushings in it so I replaced all the arms with DJM.

I’ve done a handful of control arm bushings on several cars though. You’re right, they are a pain. Sorry you’re having a hard time. :confused:
I’ll give ‘er hell tomorrow. That press is nice to have. I pulled it out of the corner of the barn and went to town. Took me about 45 minutes to figure out the best way to get the first upper bushing out. Second one took 2 minutes. So I’m hoping once I have a good system for the lowers it will go faster. This has been the only part that’s given me trouble.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot yours is relatively low miles.

I’ll give ‘er hell tomorrow. That press is nice to have. I pulled it out of the corner of the barn and went to town. Took me about 45 minutes to figure out the best way to get the first upper bushing out. Second one took 2 minutes. So I’m hoping once I have a good system for the lowers it will go faster. This has been the only part that’s given me trouble.

You’ll get’em worked out!

the press definitely makes it less physically tiring. the c-clamp press works pretty good too if you can get all the adapters and spacers sorted (if you have an impact) pressing ball joints and bushings with a ratchet is not a fun time.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the press definitely makes it less physically tiring. the c-clamp press works pretty good too if you can get all the adapters and spacers sorted (if you have an impact) pressing ball joints and bushings with a ratchet is not a fun time.
I need to get the adapter set. The basic set only has three. HF wanted $80 for the master set.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got one!
I probably could have left this sleeve alone but I nicked the outer shell just enough that made me feel more comfortable getting a new set to rob the shells from. Never underestimate a good punch, chisel, and ball-peen hammer.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty decent day. I got both bushings out of the lower arm, got the upper polys installed, picked up new shells, and cleaned the frame, swaybar, and arms. They are soaking in Klean Strip right now. Tomorrow morning I’ll hose them off and paint them. If I had more time I would paint the sway bar to match my air cleaner. Maybe next year. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get quite a bit done.

Tonight I need to read up on ball joint replacement, note some torque specs, and order bump stops for the front.

I realize now that I could have just done spindles and springs and been time/money ahead. But I really feel like these bushings and TTX parts will be worth it.

Once this project is done I am going to take a week off and try to get the ‘94 road worthy.